• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't shift into 4L

jbcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ 5 speed with a 4.5" RE lift. Unfortunately I have had a problem since i got the jeep where the Transfer case will not shift into neutral or 4L. I can get from 2H to 4H but it will not move any more after 4H.

Is there something i can do to fix this and get into 4L??

I am not sure which t-case it is but the cadence goes 2H->4H->N->4L

Please help me get some lower gearing

have you adjusted the linkage? if you disconnect the linkage at the transfercase, you should be able to move the arm on the transfercase so it goes into neutral and 2lo.

4.5" of lift? Is there a transfer case drop installed? (it'll be spacers holding the cross-member away from the frame) If so, it may be the linkage is out of adjustment or bound up from the drop bracket. The shift linkage is mounted on the trans on one side and the body on the other, dropping the t-case can cause a linkage problem.

The way you say it won't move any more makes me remember the first time I tried to shift into 4L, before I read that thing called a manual...

You have to push the lever a bit to the right to get it past a "step" in the shift gate - this is to keep people from putting it in 4L or N by accident while on the road I think. Remember, NEVER use 4L on pavement, even wet. Gravel/offroad/mud ONLY. Get to a flattish spot in the trail, coast at around 3mph, put the transmission in Neutral (guess you can just use the clutch), then quickly and firmly in one motion put the transfer case in 4L. Now shift the transmission back into gear. If you don't use this procedure (as detailed in the transfer case manual) expect to hear some bad crunching, clunking noises, and remember that this is the edges of your gears grinding on each other...

Last edited:
The way you say it won't move any more makes me remember the first time I tried to shift into 4L, before I read that thing called a manual...

You have to push the lever a bit to the right to get it past a "step" in the shift gate - this is to keep people from putting it in 4L or N by accident while on the road I think. Remember, NEVER use 4L on pavement, even wet. Gravel/offroad/mud ONLY. Get to a flattish spot in the trail, coast at around 3mph, put the transmission in Neutral (guess you can just use the clutch), then quickly and firmly in one motion put the transfer case in 4L. Now shift the transmission back into gear. If you don't use this procedure (as detailed in the transfer case manual) expect to hear some bad crunching, clunking noises, and remember that this is the edges of your gears grinding on each other...

see thats exactly what i needed... i looked for it in the manual but couldnt find anything about shifting the t-case

yeah, it's in a separate manual - luckily the PO of my XJ managed to not lose it, it was with the normal manual in the glovebox.

first check the linkage. if you are sure its not the linkage pull the case and make sure that shift fork and shift rail is in good shape.

Back