• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Upgrade

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
Its time for me to get rid of my BA-10. Doesnt seem many people want to sell their AX-15. I have been looking around but havnt had much luck finding what other trannys (maybe better than the ax-15) are compatable with the 4.0. I would like to stick with a standard trans and i will prob use whatever transfer case it comes with.

NV3550 is another std. tranny that came in Cherokee's. They might be just as hard to find, as they were only in the 00-01's. Might look for one from a YJ or TJ, but the TC is clocked a little different, IIRC.

sorry i have to ask......clocked? yeah i would low crawl through a mile of $hit to find a 3550 in a junk yard or on craigs list. cant even find a decent ax-15.

I've also had a report from the field that an NV4500 was adapted to the AMC242. Goes by MistWolf - but I haven't seen him around lately (time for a trip to the Grand Canyon - he always had such good ideas...) and he did have to, er, "massage" the tunnel sheetmetal to get it to fit.

The AX-15 is a direct replacement - the earlier "internal" slave can use the Peugeot clutch kit (the only thing different is the bearing) so you don't have to change hydraulics. Later AX-15's will require a hydraulics change, but you'll be going from an "internal" slave to an "external" slave, actuating the throwout bearing with a fork. You may also have to change the pilot bushing - the very early AX-15 uses the same size pilot as the BA-10 (the 1990 I had went right in,) but the later pilot is larger.

There's a good thread on the subject here as well - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70388. Several of us have done the swap, and we detail the issues you might run into doing it yourself.

The transmission is a direct swap - but the outputs are different, so you'll really need to score the transmission and transfer case, or get the input set from a 23-spline (late) transfer case and overhaul your old one. 1990-1995 should go right in - if you get the input from a 1996 or later, I'd suggest you grab the entire input gearset, since they changed the cut of the gears. You can use the same driveshafts, tho. Also, the crossmember will have to move back.

I've not been able to track down other donors for the AX-15 yet - it's got a removable bellhousing, so it's possible to "piece the job together." You can also buy conversion kits, if you've got the scratch - check Novak Adapters and Advance Adapters as starting points. If you find a 2WD AX-15, it can be converted to 4WD - but you'll need a 4WD mainshaft and transfer case adapter housing to do it. Might as well replace all the bearings and seals while you're about it.

Aisin gearboxes are also used in a lot of Toytas - and I think the NV3550 was found in some late-model Dodge Dakota trucks as well. The NV3550 uses the same bellhousing as the "external" AX-15, so that's a possible as well (I don't think there were any "internal" NV3550s, so you'll need an "external" bellhousing. There's a sleeve around the input for the T/O bearing to ride on - and the "hydraulic bearing assembly" won't fit.)

I've just wrung out my brains on the subject, and gotten everything loose. If I come up with anything else, I'll let you know.

Oh - expect the threadserts in the rear crossmember mounting holes to be stripped and/or rusted. If they're good, they're threaded 3/8"-16. If they're shot, you can cut access holes in the frame rail (two small ones are better than one large one,) and use a nut and washer.

you could also get the NSG370 6 speed from the 05/06 Wranglers to work.

SUA SPONTE said:
Its time for me to get rid of my BA-10. Doesnt seem many people want to sell their AX-15. I have been looking around but havnt had much luck finding what other trannys (maybe better than the ax-15) are compatable with the 4.0. I would like to stick with a standard trans and i will prob use whatever transfer case it comes with.

I picked up my NV3550 from ebay for $1,600 shipped. Included a brand new trans, bell housing, external slave kit, pilot, fork, bearing, crossmember mount, and a 23 spline for my 231. All this to replace the BA in my '88. And they clocked it correctly to bolt to the 231.

Back