NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 7th, 2019, 09:13
NAXJA Forum User

Steering Gear Box

I have a 1990 XJ , lifted, 33 inch tires, that has a worn steering gear box, output shaft wobble. The existing gear box is a large piston AGR box, at least 15 years old.

I would like to know what options make sense

1. Rebuild my existing gear box, which is the oversized piston type with a billet top cover.
a. Where can one obtain rebuild parts, I assume at minimum I would need a new output shaft bearing, and seal set?

2. Buy replacement
a. stock replacement, new or used, or rebuilt
b. oversized piston type, Dodge Durango, PSC, other?

What are recommendations, pros and cons of each.

PSC new build gear box is a nice option, but pricey.

Please advise!

Thank you
Old January 7th, 2019, 09:21
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Re: Steering Gear Box

Call AGR and ask about a rebuild. Probably pretty reasonable.
Old January 7th, 2019, 09:21
NAXJA Member

rebuild and have it ported for assist
Old January 7th, 2019, 09:37
NAXJA Forum User

I will say that my PSC box was definitely worth it.
Old January 7th, 2019, 10:25
NAXJA Member # 13

PSC box and 4.5" pulley provides one finger turning effort in 4Low, locked with 33's.

I dealt with multiple reman boxes which performed worse than my tired factory box. In doing so, I discovered that all boxed from NAPA, OReailly, AutoZone, etc are sourced from the same reman outfit in Mexico and they just slap a different label on the box. QC is marginal at best and it's a crap shoot on getting one that actually works well.

The stock box was designed to turn 235/75/15's. One cannot expect a stock box to provide the same level of performance when you add tires which are 4-7 sizes larger, double the weight and rolling resistance/ground pressure.

Last edited by XJEEPER; January 7th, 2019 at 10:32.
Old January 7th, 2019, 13:00
NAXJA Member #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJEEPER View Post
PSC box and 4.5" pulley provides one finger turning effort in 4Low, locked with 33's.
During the first five years owning of the 2001 XJ, I tried four different rebuilt boxes before finally giving up and ordering a new PSC big-bore box and matching pump.
What a huge difference! The steering is tight, light and powerful..and still is after a lot of miles. It was worth every penny. A cooler was added and I have never experienced any overheating or fade.
My stock, 1997 XJ feels sluggish and heavy in comparison, the same as the 2001 did, when it was stock.
01 Sport, 4.6L Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate
Old January 8th, 2019, 08:26
NAXJA Member # 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post
During the first five years owning of the 2001 XJ, I tried four different rebuilt boxes before finally giving up and ordering a new PSC big-bore box and matching pump.
What a huge difference! The steering is tight, light and powerful..and still is after a lot of miles. It was worth every penny. A cooler was added and I have never experienced any overheating or fade.
My stock, 1997 XJ feels sluggish and heavy in comparison, the same as the 2001 did, when it was stock.
Agreed, I just picked up an 99 Sport for my son and the steering is heavy and sluggish, compared to my PSC setup.
Old January 11th, 2019, 21:49
NAXJA Forum User

will the PSC big bore box work with their version of the "Stock" pump? I'd like to replace my steering box with a new unit, and i just put their steering pump 1205 on.

i have this one https://www.pscmotorsports.com/motor...reservoir.html
Old January 12th, 2019, 06:14
NAXJA Member

I bought a RedHead box a few years ago, still running great. I drilled the stock pump fitting a little to increase flow at low RPMs. No problems turning 35s, but I do not try to push the front end off rocks
Old January 12th, 2019, 10:12
NAXJA Member #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyS View Post
will the PSC big bore box work with their version of the "Stock" pump? I'd like to replace my steering box with a new unit, and i just put their steering pump 1205 on.
See message #6, it works great. PSC all the way.
01 Sport, 4.6L Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate
Old January 12th, 2019, 12:18
NAXJA Forum User

I love mine. PSC gear box, pump, 4.5" pulley and braided stainless lines and a Hayden plate cooler it couldn't steer any more effortless!
https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1148990
Old January 20th, 2019, 09:29
NAXJA Forum User

Picked up a 99 Dodge Durango box at wrecker yesterday. I will let you know how it works.

As for suggestion for AGR. No way. My experience with them is horrible, very poorly built rebuilds, and warrentee is useless becuase they dont reply for weeks at a time, and paying for shipping and the time to remove and install is not worth it. Three pumps from them are junk, best one lasted just 2 miles. and there gear box was the wrong part number, was not even made to the correct specification for the part number stamped on it. The billed my credit card for more than the invoice amount. Beat up used parts are installed by them. The owner is a clown to deal with, if he ever bothers to get back to you. They sold me high priced junk, and refused to take it back. never again AGR, the new owner, Josh is worthless, bait and switch, unsafe parts, worthless.