• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Archangel Build Thread

Twicepardoned

NAXJA Forum User
(I have placed my build thread in here because alot of the build would eventually be asked and documented in here anyway)

I decided to name my XJ in lieu of this build taking place. Meet The Archangel.

I think angels don't have genders.?.?.? Anyway... IT started out as a $600 buy with a supposed blown head gasket. Not so... ran perfect and looked perfect till I got ahold of it. :rolleyes:

Anyway. Basic 3" lift, trimming and 32" tires got me started... came across military tires and bead lockers that didn't fit but I kept chopping this thing up! :nono: There are better ways but I was looking to have fun with a minimal investment.

Here I am though about 7 months later getting ready to start my first official build.

To get it started I'll post my pics from last night as I was pulling her in the garage.

jun6010-1.jpg

jun6012.jpg

Step one, tear it down...
( note of importance... if you have crappy Torx bits go ahead and get some quality ones because those bolts were hard as heck to get out.)

jun6018.jpg

jun6019.jpg

Got the hatch, doors, fenders, hood and bumpers all off

jun6020.jpg

jun6021.jpg

So the first task at hand is to get the 6" lift on. I am not doing a long arm yet but am using a CAD kit. I'll post those pics as progress is made.

The first thing I'd like to discuss though is the possiblity of shortening the nose.

I've identified 3 problems
1- Battery
2- Steering Box
3- Radiator

1- The Battery should be fairly simple, I see guys do this all the time in drag racers so I am ok with the movement.

2- This is the one that I am having the most trouble figuring out though...
A-Mounting - Just below the power steering pump is a small area that can fit the steering box but it would require some mounting which is not available. I imagine a great deal of fabbing would need to be done.
B-Pitman Arm - The entire physics of the pitman arm would be changed. This could require skills far beyond my own. This would need to be discussed in great detail.

3- My immediate thought is to route 2" hard piping to the back of the Jeep... send and return obviously. Mount the radiator in the rear and use air ducts along the roof to pull air from. Electric fans obviously.

Anyway... these are my current thoughts, and I think the steering could be the biggest obstacle to overcome.

OK it's finally looking like something that's strictly off-road... or getting closer. :sunshine: It was a hot day to be out in the sun the whole time

jun6033.jpg

jun6036.jpg

jun6034.jpg

Interesting side note, I measured 5inches distance between the rear tires and fender before I started today and NOW I have 6.5" of clearance!!!! That's alot of weight loss! :angel:

Here's my current thought for the back... and please don't be afraid to give constructive criticism.

edit1.jpg

edit2.jpg

As you can see I 'plan' on using the existing structure to tap into for an overhead bar in the back, then brace it against the vertical pillar and the edge of the 'truck bed'. The 2 longest tubes are what I would like to use for the spare tire. My concern is that the spare, being heavy and all might cause the beam over head to sag??? I may be way off base so please, feedback before I start welding

Twicepardoned said:
Interesting side note, I measured 5inches distance between the rear tires and fender before I started today and NOW I have 6.5" of clearance!!!! That's alot of weight loss! :angel:
If you cage it, it'll be back down to 5".. ;)

So, how are you going to add support?? Are you going to leave the back open or are you going to put the hatch right behind the rear seat??

Edit - you just answered my first question.

Nice start by the way.

E

EliasJ123 said:
If you cage it, it'll be back down to 5".. ;)

So, how are you going to add support?? Are you going to leave the back open or are you going to put the hatch right behind the rear seat??

Edit - you just answered my first question.

Nice start by the way.

E

Thanks Eli!

I do not plan on 'exo' caging it. I am wanting a suitable cage for the driver. As for the rear I am just a little conerned with how flimsy the roof was so I will be adding the small section you see. It's functionality will be to hold the spare, tow straps, helmets and gas cans, not really to protect anything.
(I don't plan on doing 'dangerous' stuff with any passengers as it is)

The rear will remain fully open, I am selling hatch (see midwest chapter classifieds)

Looks great man! Are you going to do some unibody stiffeners?

I think a partial exo would be cool with some tube fenders tied into them. What are your official plans for the build? What lift are you going to run?

lancey3 said:
Looks great man! Are you going to do some unibody stiffeners?

I think a partial exo would be cool with some tube fenders tied into them. What are your official plans for the build? What lift are you going to run?

Thanks Lance!

For now I'm staying with the Military 36" tires. I know they will be a weak link when I hit the rocks but so far I am extremely happy with the way they handle dirt, mud and basically rough terrain.
The lift is 6.5" and with the load lightened this way I imagine that's more like 7 or 7.5.... just a guess though.

I have no immediate plans for the bumpers but they will be custom... don't expect much though, maybe like 4" tubes on either side. Just something to push small children out of the way with. :)

There are lots of ideas I have so I am hoping to expand my horizon with some thoughts from everyone but all in all there is no official 'plan'

I'd like to be able to drive up to a wall and put the Jeep vertical but I'm not sure how much work that would take for something that's nothing more than a "Look what I can do!!!" ehehe

Oh and as far as unibody stiffeners... well I hadn't even considered it... That is to say I hadn't thought about it yet. Do you think I'd need them?

Removed the rear bench and belts... just to get more space to work and prevent a slag fire. I'put them back once I figure out and install the back cage.

Twicepardoned said:
Oh and as far as unibody stiffeners... well I hadn't even considered it... That is to say I hadn't thought about it yet. Do you think I'd need them?

Its definitely a good idea. The subframe rails are paper thin.

Twicepardoned said:
Here's my current thought for the back... and please don't be afraid to give constructive criticism.

edit1.jpg

edit2.jpg

As you can see I 'plan' on using the existing structure to tap into for an overhead bar in the back, then brace it against the vertical pillar and the edge of the 'truck bed'. The 2 longest tubes are what I would like to use for the spare tire. My concern is that the spare, being heavy and all might cause the beam over head to sag??? I may be way off base so please, feedback before I start welding

I am not sure I understand what you are doing here? Is this in place of a full cage? How are you going to tie in your overhead bar to the "C" pillars? There isn't much there to tie into. What is the purpose of the outer bars?
Your inboard bars should tie into the frame in the back (they need to be wider) you might also consider making them go all the way to the outside of the overhead bar at the top or make them an "X". I might be completely off base but it seems to me you might want to do a little more planning before you go too much further?

Michael

2xtreme said:
I am not sure I understand what you are doing here? Is this in place of a full cage? How are you going to tie in your overhead bar to the "C" pillars? There isn't much there to tie into. What is the purpose of the outer bars?
Your inboard bars should tie into the frame in the back (they need to be wider) you might also consider making them go all the way to the outside of the overhead bar at the top or make them an "X". I might be completely off base but it seems to me you might want to do a little more planning before you go too much further?

Michael

That was my purpose in posting it. I have no intentions of building something (like a cage) that I am totally clueless about.

Let me see if I understand correctly... You believe I should cross the bars running the back to the top.?.?

The purpose of the rear cage is really only for the spare tire and to close it in and give a little support on the back. It is NOT a 'roll cage' though.
The only 'roll cage' I plan on building will be directly around the drivers seat, nothing more.

These unibody vehicles have little chance of holding up to off road use and large tires left alone. With the lack of all the doors and rear it will not last long term (it will fold like a taco:lecture: ).

The additional "support" that you are proposing I don't believe will do anything to put the "support" back in the unibody that you have eliminated.

one important advantage to a cage for a unibody is the "support" that it CAN provide to the vehicle. If it is just built around the drive it will have difficulty providing any support to the rest of the vehicle.

Just my comments.
Michael

Twicepardoned said:
I have no intentions of building something (like a cage) that I am totally clueless about.

The purpose of the rear cage is really only for the spare tire and to close it in and give a little support on the back. It is NOT a 'roll cage' though.
Please Please Please don't get discouraged by the feed back you well be getting from myself and others, we are trying to give constructive criticism!!!!! but the first comment you made in the quote in red you have apparently done just that!!! the body of the XJ works as a sort of flimsy cage with the skin as shear web's and you CUT THEM AWAY, leaving no real support!!!!!!!!!!! plate your frame rails, tie the front part of the body in to the rear with an internal BAISIC cage tied in to the reinforced frame rails adding a little more around the driver if you want but thoroughly reinforcing the rear, look at jump this's rig, he did what you want to do and ( GAWD, i cant believe i am going to say this out loud for the world to see ) he did it very well and you can mount your spare tire there if the cage is solid and you wont need to worry about it

we tell you this from experiences we have had or seen happen to others so take it for what its worth and build smartly and you wont regret it in the end, because you will have a rig that will take you places you never thought a unibody station wagon ever could go and look good doing it!! :laugh3:

2xtreme said:
These unibody vehicles have little chance of holding up to off road use and large tires left alone. With the lack of all the doors and rear it will not last long term (it will fold like a taco:lecture: ).

The additional "support" that you are proposing I don't believe will do anything to put the "support" back in the unibody that you have eliminated.

one important advantage to a cage for a unibody is the "support" that it CAN provide to the vehicle. If it is just built around the drive it will have difficulty providing any support to the rest of the vehicle.

Just my comments.
Michael

You're perfectly fine, I posted this for thsi very reason... I need the advice.
In all honesty I just don't think I removed very much frame strength, granted it is alot lighter but I'm not sure how much ridgity was compromised.

My thought was that if I simply tie the rear end up to the roof at an angle it should bring back what may have been lost.

For the record I ended up taking this offroad yesterday, nothing crazy... but it was awesome!!! I can't believe how much power was gained from dumping the weight. It's like free hhorsepower! hahaha

Mr.OverKill said:
Please Please Please don't get discouraged by the feed back you well be getting from myself and others, we are trying to give constructive criticism!!!!! but the first comment you made in the quote in red you have apparently done just that!!! the body of the XJ works as a sort of flimsy cage with the skin as shear web's and you CUT THEM AWAY, leaving no real support!!!!!!!!!!! plate your frame rails, tie the front part of the body in to the rear with an internal BAISIC cage tied in to the reinforced frame rails adding a little more around the driver if you want but thoroughly reinforcing the rear, look at jump this's rig, he did what you want to do and ( GAWD, i cant believe i am going to say this out loud for the world to see ) he did it very well and you can mount your spare tire there if the cage is solid and you wont need to worry about it

we tell you this from experiences we have had or seen happen to others so take it for what its worth and build smartly and you wont regret it in the end, because you will have a rig that will take you places you never thought a unibody station wagon ever could go and look good doing it!! :laugh3:

OK, what you're suggesting doesn't sound too bad. I am ok with adding the frame support, I guess I still don't see why I'd need to fully cage the front as well if I simply tie the back up again. It just seems illogical to me to completely frame in the front if it technically already is.?.?.?

Back