• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

door hinges

It was possible on the upper left on a 89 two door. I fashioned a 12" long rod to push the old pin partially out. I then started the new one in and it then drove the old one the rest of the way out.
To answere the question WHY, the answere is most likely because it's worn out!

JoBo

I had one hell of time removing the old pin on the lower drivers door on my 96. I believe it is the same config that you have. I ended up using a dremel to cut the lower portion of the hinge off since the pin would hot release from it. i know have a half assed drivers door mount , but at least it no longer sags

It may depend on the kind of pins. The later ones I've seen have pressed-in pins that should come out but may need quite a bang to get started, and may be very difficult to reach with the door on. On the other hand, my old 87 had roll pins, and they were a snap. drive out, drive new pin in. You could even drive the old pin out with the new one. 1/4 inch roll pins, buy 'em at the tractor store a half inch too long, install with the half inch on top and when they wear, bang then down a half.

Jeep supposedly makes a repair kit for the later type pins that includes new bushings.

any idea on when the swap to the later style pins happened? I have a 93 and the driver side door sags quite a bit. Im not sure if its just the pin thats messed up or if its the acutal hinge itself, but its worth a shot.

themangeraaad said:
any idea on when the swap to the later style pins happened? I have a 93 and the driver side door sags quite a bit. Im not sure if its just the pin thats messed up or if its the acutal hinge itself, but its worth a shot.

With the door almost closed lift it up by the handle and see if there's play. If there is then determine if it's the top or bottom. On the 89 anyways the pin is a 1/4" roll pin available at most hardware stores.

JoBo

Without removing the door the upper one shouldn't be too bad but the lower will be a bieotch because there is no way to really get any leverage to "drive" the old pin out. I just did hinge pins on a Grand Cherokee yesterday and it only took me 20 mins to do (removed the door) Probably would have taken twice that time with the door still on. FWIW Jeep doors are the easiest to remove of any vehicle I have worked on-take advantage of that.

Yeah, its def the lower hinge, dont know if that makes a difference on how it could be repaired. I dont know if its the pin or the actual hinge itself. If it is the hinge plate that is mounted to the vehicle itself.... would it be possible or practical or drill it out and insert a small sleeve of some type, weld that in, and use that to jerry rig repair it, at least for a while.

Back