• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cummins Power?

Big Hank

NAXJA member #435
NAXJA Member
Does anyone know of a way to get some cheap power out of a 2001 Cummins. I would like to know that I had a little something more then a stock rig. I have a modified air box with a K and N filter, but nothing else.

So far i have heard rumors of being able to change or modify the air intake temp sensor, also heard of a restritor plate at the intake manifold.

Just wondring if anyone knows of cheap mods for a little more kick. I would do a 6 gun and some exhuast but that money really needs to be reserved for the MJ project

thanks, Gene MJ

Yea, i was thinking exhaust, I can get a full dynomax from work for low 300's, but also thinking about just taking off the muffler and runnin a pipe there instead. I am not looking for huge power gains, just kick up the efficiency some. Plus I would like to hear one with no muffler and factory length exhaust, I can't have it sounding like a thrashed gas engine.

Gene MJ

summit racing has a good price on their stainless systems...especially compared to flowmaster or banks. my buddy has the "edge" chip. not really cheap, but cheaper than banks, easier to hook up, and less "failsafes"-i've heard that the banks kinda goes annoyingly overboard in that dept. also, do a search for "dhra".

caTCHER ECM (AKA Mad ECM), or Edge comp for kick in the pants performance. How is your fuel pressure? are you still on your stock lift pump? if so I would remedy that before I started BOMBing..

Propane

Ended up getting a hypertech programmer, i can get them through work at napa. I got a charge account, so i will just pay for it over the next couple of weeks. very happy with the purchase by the way

Thinking about getting rid of the muffler now, or possibly waiting a little while and just doinw 4 inch dynomax, its really affordable, and when the account gets paid down, i'll charge it for the next couple of weeks.

I'll be researching that lift pump issue, i have heard things abou tthat and have put it in the back of my mind until you reminded me of

Gene

Gene MJ said:
Ended up getting a hypertech programmer, i can get them through work at napa. I got a charge account, so i will just pay for it over the next couple of weeks. very happy with the purchase by the way

Thinking about getting rid of the muffler now, or possibly waiting a little while and just doinw 4 inch dynomax, its really affordable, and when the account gets paid down, i'll charge it for the next couple of weeks.

I'll be researching that lift pump issue, i have heard things abou tthat and have put it in the back of my mind until you reminded me of

Gene

grandpa runs no muffler in his powerjoke and there was no audible difference wth and without the muffler...

kinda like - look under some of the older dodges at the exhaust, then look at the 2005's and notice the difference - 2005 has no cat IIRC...

My 01.5 is straight piped, and I will assure you it it louder than stock. You may like it, you may not but one thing is for sure, everyone will know you are coming.

As for the lift pump, you can run an aux pump back at the tank like a holley blue or something, but that is really only a band-aid. I had three lift pumps replaced under warranty, in fact I would still be having them replaced under warranty if I hadnt switched to the F.A.S.S. system.

The first thing you should invest in is a fuel pressure gauge, because when the lift pump goes, it usually takes the injection pump too. Not too bad if you are still under warranty, but if not...lift pump = $150 +/- VP44 Injection Pump = $1400 +/-

Back