• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swamp Lake XJ run Aug 1-3

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
This run started out as a SoCal run, but the Sierra chapter made it an official run last year. It makes a great joint NorCal/SoCal XJ run, and has grown every year. This will be the fifth or six year, and last year I think there were 26 rigs. Swamp Lake Trail is in the Shaver Lake area, about an hour east of Fresno. The trail is easy to moderate rock crawling, is 12-14 miles long, and tops out at 9900' elevation. This is a three day trip, starting the trail on Friday morning. We'll camp in our usual spot at Dinkey Creek on Thursday night.

We run the trail halfway and then stop to camp at Grouse Lake. We've been rotating every other year between camping one night or two nights at the lake, when we camp one night on the trail we run Bald Mtn on Sunday. This year we'll camp two nights at the lake, which makes for a very relaxed and enjoyable trip. We swim in the lake, some bring blow up boats, and do some fishing and hiking. Saturday I'll lead a short hike to Little Doris Lake, a very secluded lake in the rim of the bowl above Swamp Lake......very scenic!

This year we're going to run the trail backwards to mix things up a little bit. For those who want and have the time, we can do a quick run up Bald Mtn Trail on Sunday afternoon, since running Swamp backwards will bring us right past the trailhead on the way out. If anyone can get Monday off also, this would be fun to do and we can camp again Sunday night at Dinkey Creek, or just make a late trip home.

Equipment should be at least 31's, rock rails, and a good limited slip or locker.

Is there any desire to make this a SoCal chapter run.....maybe joint with the Sierra chapter? Who wants to go?

That sounds like fun to me! Unfortunatly I'm not sure I'll be able to take the day off (I've got lots of vacation coming up). I'll see if I can pull some strings though. Well, it also depends on whether I can scrape up the money to build myself up to teh required equipment!

Sequoia

Richard, If I were looking on a map, could I get another clue?

or two.

Thanks,
tim

Richard,
I'll be there -- bringing my father-in-law in his XJ too. It'll be nice to spend an entire day at Grouse this year. I don't think I'll make the Bald Mtn run though.
Andy

The wife and I and of course Angel will also be attending. I should have the XJ finished with all the new goodies that were not ready for BOTW II. We will probably have to drive up there Friday night and leave Sunday. BOTW and Hawaii have eaten up all my vacation time.

Kevin M.

T Bent said:
Richard, If I were looking on a map, could I get another clue?

or two.

Thanks,
tim

Sure, on a map look due east from Fresno and find Shaver Lake, then look a little SE from Shaver and find Dinkey Creek area. We camp at Dinkey Creek, and the trail makes a loop to the east of Dinkey. On the map, look for the Dinkey Lakes wilderness which is just east of the trail, and for the Dinkey Lakes trailhead which is also the trailhead for the Swamp Lake Trail if running it from north to south. Since we're running it south to north this year, we can air down in camp and take dirt roads to the southern trailhead. From the northern trailhead it's about an hours drive back to the camp at Dinkey Creek.

As far as drive time, you can figure an hour to an hour and ten minutes from the east side of Fresno to the camping spot at Dinkey. It's about a three hour drive from Bakersfield.

Richard,

Is this the year of "running it backwards"?

I should be there also with Hunter and the Boat.

mark
orgs mfg

Mark Hinkley said:
Richard,

Is this the year of "running it backwards"?

I should be there also with Hunter and the Boat.

mark
orgs mfg

Yeah, we'll run it backwards and stay two nights at the lake. Should be fun......

Goatman said:
Yeah, we'll run it backwards and stay two nights at the lake. Should be fun......

I think what Mark was getting at is you are running the Rubicon backwards and this one. What's next Wrecking Ball ?. :D

Oh yeah, now I see the reference. :) Yep, both Swamp and Rubicon backwards this year. We ran Jackhammer backwards not long ago.....what else can we run backwards?

Maybe we should plan a JV run and just run trails backwards. :D

Swamp Run

Sounds good and I am 60% sure I will join you all. I'll keep an eye on my schedule as this summer is a wild ride for my family.

Joe

Lupine said:
Crash and I will be there, fer sure.

It will be a pleasure to have you and Crash along.

How about if we try to not have to weld up anything on his rig? ;)

Any chance you both could swing a Monday off so you could run Bald Mtn with us Sunday afternoon?

Yah, there's several things we could do - Big Creek is my project, so it's rather convenient for me. I'd really like to see Bald Mountain, since we didn't get to last time, with all the strapping of the axles and whatnot. Can't guarantee that there won't be welding, but we should have the mobile welder by then.

I'm just going to weld all my bolts to the nearest bit of fixed metal before leaving my house.

The new rig is not going to have any bolts at all, just metal melted together with .035 wire!

CRASH.......screw threads.

Back