• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Puking diff breather?

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
So I get home today and about five minutes later I look under the jeep and find a puddle of brand new diff grease (I just changed it) on the floor beneath it. However, its not underneath the diff or the breather, its under the unibody and its coming out one of the little drain holes. What the heck is up with that? Its also coming out of the hole where the bumpstop is mounted. So, the breather is spitting up fluid into that frame rail. Why would it be doing that? It spewed all over the place and covered the diff and part of the axle tube, so its pretty much all over the place. Cant figure out for the life of me why it woudl do this. ANyone have suggestions or ideas? What else should I check? I am just baffled. First my seals going all the time, and now fluid going UP the breather tube. Huh?
Somebody help a brotha out!
josh

Have you taken it swimming lately? Extra volume in there can get it closer to the overflow than it was. Once almost burned down a 73' Blazer when the tranny spit fluid onto the headers.

Only a few reasons I can think of for it to blow out of the vent tube. Heat making the oil expand, thin and foam. Like mentioned before, too much volume, maybe water in the case. Or one I´ve had problems with, on occasion, cheap gear oil and foaming. Foaming usually only happened on high speed runs. A better quality (and higher viscosity, I changed to 80W-140) gear oil helped. Have heard synthetics are less prone to foaming.

Back