• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlights just go off

awdxtc

NAXJA Forum User
So I was driving home last night and my head lights went off. I physically turned them off and back on and they were fine for about 10 minutes then they did it again. Is the headlight switch the most likely problem?

Are you running aftermarket bulbs of higher wattage than stock?

Are you running aftermarket bulbs of higher wattage than stock?

Good question.

I would start with renewing the grounds for the headlights, then clean the connectors and the prongs on the lamps and use a little dielectric grease.

If that doesn't help, or in addition, check the connector to the switch--they like to melt, just like the HVAC and ignition switch connectors.

Next time they either go off, or fail to come on properly, leave the headlight switch pulled, and cycle the high-beam (dip switch). The turn-signal stalk mounted switch in my '96 is occasionally cranky, and pulling it to click the switch works. Just my $0.05 (my two cents worth with inflation!).

i had the same problem check you ground behind the air box its a self tapping screw tighten it up or move it. assuming it is a 98 and up.

I've also run into the connector that is under the airbox that all the front lights connect thru getting heavily corroded and causing them to go out. Its in the same area as the ground strap that Zingerxj is talking about. I ended up having to cut the connector out of the harness and getting one from a yard to repair it.

In both my '92 and '96, I've just done away with the plug. Just nip the two corresponding wires, one from each side of the connector, and splice them together. I used solder and heat-shrink. Now they work most of the time!

It's apparently very common for the dash switch to go bad (and yes, it can melt the connector) - it did on my 89. When I went to the dealer, he didn't even have to look up the part - he had a shelf full of them since they go bad so often.

Back