• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

That’s great, John! Looking forward to hearing more about the install. We’re you able to find it locally? Reasonably priced? I had come across a couple for sale, but they seemed a bit steep.

I bought it off ebay. They are pretty steep at this point. Most seem to be in the $2500-$3k range, which puts them on par with an Atlas. The JK ones are cheaper, usually around $1500, but they're missing the speedometer equipment as thats handled by the ABS equipment on the axles. So you can't use one in an XJ.

The only problem with the Atlas is its a 5+ month wait to get one.

I made an offer and got this one for $2k.

Good snag! I was wondering why they seem to be going for comparable money to an Atlas. 5+ month lead time makes sense.

Started on the t case today

Got the old one halfway out. Having trouble with the last 3 bolts. Don’t remember it being this tricky the last time I pulled a case

Hope you were able to put the stubborn bolts in their place!

I should be getting my XJ back up and running this weekend :). Plenty of mods on the to-be-installed shelf, but not having a power steering pump installed is keeping me from driving.

New power steering pump is a success, but parts shelf is getting full!

• Prothane progessive bump stops (F&R)
  • Trans cooler & temp gauge
  • Power steering cooler
  • Rock lights
  • Stinger "upgrade"
  • New headlight harness

My lovely lady will be dress shopping this weekend, so hoping to get some good wrenching/welding time in :)

Got the 231 out and the cable shifter brackets in.

Gotta figure out the 4wd light socket and the missing bolt for the shift arm on the t case

Awesome! Making good progress!

I got the new stinger installed. BIG improvement! The old one was almost at the roof line, so the new one is definitely more modest.

https://imgur.com/a/wkvbH7V

The complex notches for supporting bars were whooping my ass. Need to get some material and do some practicing.

Last edited:
Got the wiring done for the new sensor, attempted to put the case in Saturday... that went poorly.

Renting a transmission jack Friday and trying again. That 241 is heavy and tough to balance!

Got the rubicon case in. Much easier with a transmission jack.

Got a few things to still figure out:

1. Extend the vent line
2. Find the correct shift plate for the t case. The one I have results in the cable shifter hitting the case and I can’t get into 4low
3. Torque down yokes
4. Fill with fluid (gotta buy some good stuff)

Also my battery is dead and the charger didn’t seem happy so I gotta figure that out.

Busy month of work coming up so glad I at least got it bolted in and off the jack

May have found the shift tab I need. If not, probably will see if I can make Azzy's work, or one from a Ram with a 241.

Coming along well, John?

Delivery man brought me some goodies today. Steering box spacer from ARES Fabrication and some telescoping 3 ton RV stands. I wasn’t sure how the stands would work out, but they seem good so far! Much safer then my previous method (two cinder blocks and a jack stand)

https://imgur.com/a/9XJWqkm

Slower than I’d like but that’s more due to work travel the past 2 weekends than anything.

Have 2 weeks to mess around with it before I leave again. I think I have a tab that will work now.

No go on the Chevy 241 tab.

Not sure what to do. Case is useless if I can’t find the OEM tab

Bought a 2 low kit from teraflex because it came with a new tab.

That tab is oriented wrong for the stock setup. So I may end up taking the case apart to install a 2 low kit… really don’t want to risk the leaks again though.

Right now I’m trying cutting and bending an 231 tab to see if that will work.

Also made a spacer to drop my crossmember 1/4 in since the case was hitting the tunnel

Started to drive it a little more. Last year when I went wheeling noticed it was getting pretty warm. I had a nice aftermarket CSF radiator in there before it broke and I just put a stock replacement in there so I could get the jeep back to working.

Wondering if I need a better radiator now. So that's why im driving it. It drives fine and no issues with the temp...

That96XJ - Awesome! Hope it is working well for you!

R6TeXJ - I also had a fancy aluminum radiator that i destroyed. Ending up replacing it with a cheapo rad and also replaced the water pump and thermostat. Seemed to run a bit cooler than before the change.

Power steering goodies came in! I also got steering and trans coolers mounted. Trimming the grill to fit is going to be a bitch!

https://imgur.com/a/mrgGfap

Back