NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old December 1st, 2021, 14:30
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Plastic tanked radiator any good?

Yeah, the only difference between rhd and lhd is the trans cooler is on the other side and the fan shroud mounts are different. I have extended my lines so I use a lhd radiator, I just modify the fan shroud mounts.
Old December 1st, 2021, 15:17
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJI6191 View Post
No wonder China has it in for Taiwan, their products have a much better reputation.

My quick search of the interweb revealed the only "Crown" radiators are those supplied by Crown Automotive, that well known purveyor of all things Jeep. One thing I spotted trying to make sense of the baffling choice (just for Cherokees) was that one for 4.0's changed in '97 which didn't ring true as all mine - '96, 8 & 9 - are the same - then I spotted RHD ones changed in '93; dunno, you tell me - but then I've never understood the RHD radiator; actually, I've never understood why the trans. heat exchanger's on the wrong side on LHD ones (which seems to be the only difference).

Bakelite! Are you sure? I mean it was a '50's product which I thought was superceded by plastics & wasn't aware of any modern application. Mind you, it could be due a renaissance, being organic, presumably bio-degradable, & better for the environment.
Looked like a newer offering made with old-school manufacturing. The end tanks may not have been bakelite but it sure looked, felt, and had the same properties dense, solid, and thick. The whole radiator was just plain old heavy. I could see where they might have some issues during shipping, the packaging wasn't well thought out, the filler neck was right up against the outside cardboard, I imagine they had a lot of returns for cracked filler neck. No idea if they still sell them or not.
Old December 1st, 2021, 19:08
Stranger

I doubt they are using Bakelite--it is probably too brittle for the application. Most likely some sort of glass fiber reinforced composite. But I can see how there is a similarity to Bakelite.

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Old December 1st, 2021, 20:28
NAXJA Member

Yeah, agreed. Probably fiber reinforced polymer (FRP). You can sometimes tell from the texture being a little bit rough depending on the mixture. At any rate I'd definitely trust a good plastic for longer term crack resistance to poorly designed metal.
Old December 2nd, 2021, 07:07
NAXJA Forum User

If you are on a yearly replacement schedule, might as well give a plastic tank a try.
Old December 2nd, 2021, 13:27
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclewolverine View Post
Yeah, the only difference between rhd and lhd is the trans cooler is on the other side and the fan shroud mounts are different. I have extended my lines so I use a lhd radiator, I just modify the fan shroud mounts.
I think whether the fan shroud mounts are different might depend on the manufacturer, 'cos the centre one looks like it's supposed to take either fan arrangement,

The trans cooler lines can't be the only difference - what about the PAS cooler?

. . . & I still don't understand why the LHD cooler's on the wrong side. http://www.naxja.org/forum/images/smilies/dunno.gif
Old December 2nd, 2021, 13:30
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I doubt they are using Bakelite--it is probably too brittle for the application. Most likely some sort of glass fiber reinforced composite. But I can see how there is a similarity to Bakelite.
Yeah, I was thinking that, even as I was typing my earlier post. It's definitely not one of the plastics we're more used to.