• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tuners for an XJ?

PowerRam1987

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone used one of the superchips or other brand tuners for an XJ? I'm not particularly interested in doing it to mine but I am curious. Basically wondering would it work on a 96' being the first year of OBDII? Cherokee computers/emissions/injection systems pretty simple-i'm not so sure it would even do much for performance or otherwise.
1...2....3..... GO!

if i was hypothetically working on my own turbo setup would he be able to help me with a computer? has anyone used his products before-quality, service, etc? and is he on NAXJA?

I have a Chris tune and it's awesome, he added a few degrees of timing and it woke up my stock motor.

Do you have any bolt-ons besides the computer tune?

My 96' has a dynomax super turbo catback, 2.5 inch thunderbolt high flow cat, stock down pipe with pinch/dent removed, modified stock intake(K&N panel filter, silencer removed, and extra holes made on the box below the filter facing the fender), precision auto fuel injectors, and 180 degree thermostat. I'm thinking about getting a 62/63mm throttle body before asking Chris for a quote to do a tune identical to yours with the few degrees advanced along with the mexican fuel map minus the extended idle and cruise control mod.

this is the kind of info i was interested in. i'm also wondering if he flashes it, sends you a plug in for the OBDII port, or its something splice in?
thanks guys

FYI on Chris. He has years of PCM modification experience and he was recommended to me by the folks at F&B. For a performance throttle body manufacturer to say "go to this guy" carries a goodly deal of weight with me.

For those that do not know, F&B supply the TBs to Kenne Bell for the Supercharger kits.

As I understand it, the PCM must be sent to Chris. Not a piggyback. The basic parameters are changed. If Chryco had had a forced induction vehicle during the 96-04 production runs, I would have worked directly with the PCM instead of adding in an AEM F/IC8. Cleaner installation. But, there isn't an example in the production line to model so, IMO, the best bet for a forced induction installation is the F/IC8.

I run one without any negative side effects...

You need to send him your ecu. He has a tune for stock-to-slightly modified where he adjust the timing and I think the fuel table and maybe a few other little things. Don't know the price. He can make changes like able to run 2 bar map sensor, and more turbo friendly ecu. He could fly to you and tune in real time while on a dyno-$$$$!

I have a superchips tuner, but never tried it.

Is that email the only contact method? Ive been searching for help to tune my california emissions stroker for like 2 days.

'California emissions stroker' in Pennsylvania? That's rough.

I emailed him several times and he can do a lot, but in the end, you have to mail the ecu to him for a PCM reflash. He is able to do a tune for a naturally aspirated stock or slightly modified 4.0 and stroker with slightly larger injectors. He can adjust the fuel and timing maps, rev limiter and some other smaller settings. As far as Boosted, it is possible with larger injectors, he can do it best if he was with your car on a dyno where he can tune it in real time. But that is like 3-4 hours of tuning. Most likely you will need a 2bar MAP sensor but then you lose tune scaling. Doing a boost tune thru the mail, might not work so well.

For forced induction, the options are limited,

1)AEM F/IC and 6 larger injectors but then you will have to tune/dial down the N/A portion as well as tune/dial up the boosted portion. The AEM will also control the timing retard needed for boost. This will have high intake air temps unless intercooling is used or water/methanol is also injected.

2)Auxillary Injector Controller and Timing Retard and use a '7th' injector. This method will run just as stock when out of boost and under boost the 7th inj will add the fuel enrichment, usually before the s/c, so it 'mixes' well with the air and distributes evenly. The fuel will also act to cool the intake charged air by 50-80 degrees.

Both these methods have been hashed over and over and have their own pluses and minuses.

Well what you can also do is have Chris tune the ecu for a 2 bar cal with a map sensor and then do any fine corrections with the FI/C. If you contact Chris I think he actually has a spare 2000 XJ ecu he could flash and ship out to you if needed so your jeep isn't out of commission.

Back