• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electrical/gauges/cluster issue

lilredwagn

NAXJA Forum User
Borked my '96 instrument cluster. Didn't knowingly "break" anything, but had it apart and when I put it back together, gauges don't all work. I figure it's a bad ground or the like, but haven't found any info in the FSM (perhaps in a supplement?)

The odometer and spedometer and tachometer all work great. The oil, volt, temp and fuel gauges don't work. They are all more or less centered except for fuel, which reads over full. If you move the needles by hand with power off, they will return to center when powered on. Oddly enough, the fuel low warning light still works, but comes on with 10 gallons left instead of 5 like usual. Since I don't really *need* the others, I've been putting it off until now (weather gorgeous though so might as well do it)

Barring anything else, I'll get out the meter and start prodding things, but thought I'd ask first and see if anyone had an idea of how these things were wired to maybe suggest a starting place.

Make sure the electrical connections on the back of the cluster are fully seated. If one end is hanging out even just a little bit, that can cause this problem. All connections need to be completely snapped in. Also make sure that all the screws used to hold the gauges in place are snug. They are not only mechanical fasteners but electrical as well.

Back