• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which water pump

Marc

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my gradually failing water pump. The problem is how do I tell which water pump to buy without taking it out first. Need the xj to pick up the new pump. It is an 89' XJ Limited 4 liter with 4 wd and 4 doors. It has the automatic with power everything and AC.

Do I need the 2.31" hub height and 3.30" OD hub or the 3.72" hub height with the 2.65" OD hub. Is there some way to measure this thing without removing it?

Marc

Why not call the dealer and ask them the cost for a "new" water pump. You may be surpised how competitive they are. I think I checked and it less than $60 for a "new" water pump from Chrysler. I recall seeing those options on size also on a web site. I ended up with a water pump fromehescosc.com water pump and they did not ask me the hub size question but it fit fine.

The water pump I pulled out of XJ had an impeller like the one in this picture http://www.hescosc.com/HFW.html The replacement water pump had the aluminum impeller.

If you look at the water pump there should be a casting number on the part where the lower radiator hose attaches. It will be facing forward so should be easy to read with a flash light. Just write down that number and then go to the parts store and see if the replacement pump casting has that number cast into it.

Also I highly recommend you buy the water pump gasket from the dealer. It comes with RTV pre applied and instructions to include the torque on the bolts. I'd also pick up a thermostat at the dealer and swap it out, it will come with a gasket but you may want to pick up some extras gaskets to have around for the future. The thermostat gasket was less than a buck and the water pump was less than $5.

I can try to dig out my old water pump tonight and measure it for you if you like.

I have come to the opinion that new water pumps are not that expensive so I always use new. A rebuilt was rebuilt because something happened and my luck the casting is messed up.

If you are changing the water pump I also highly recommend changing the idle pulley by the AC compressor, should run $10-$15. Also check the bearing for the mechanical fan it could be rough. If you need to replace that it is a $75 dealer part, have to buy the bracket assy to get the new bearing.

Be really careful with the dealer WP gasket. I just put in a new pump last week and after torqueing everything down to the dealer specs, I still has a small leak. I yanked the pump out and slapped on a layer of RTV and I was good to go. My dealer thermostat gasket is working great though, so who knows, I may have just had a bad gasket.

Back