• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Backup Lights Wiring Question

gpthrlz

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question and I apologize for my lack of wiring knowledge.

I just bought an XJ last month and instead of the stock reverse lights, the previous owner took them out and put in nice round lights. They work great when I put the vehicle in reverse.

The question is, how can I also use these same lights as work lights (i.e., using them when I set up camp at night)

Do I run extra wiring to a switch so the lights can be turned on even when not in reverse? Will this somehow mess up the reverse switch? Or is there a better way.

Again, sorry I am not too familiar with wiring. Also thanks everyone for the airhorn advice. I got the airhorn in and it works great.

Steve

If you run a wire straight from the battery to the lights and put a switch on that wire it should work. It wont have any effect on the reverse switch because that circuit will be open and there won't be any power running to it. There is a possibility that if you have the switch on and then also put it in reverse that the lights might pop, but I doubt it. I don't think that it would have any effect either way. Just run the wire from the battery to the positive wire on the lights.

You could splice power off your taillights and put in a switch in the rear so they only work with your headlights on and that way you don't forget to turn them off. Other than that there is no constant power souce in the rear. If you do wire it straight from the battery don't forget to wire in a fuse.

Osprey413 said:
If you run a wire straight from the battery to the lights and put a switch on that wire it should work. It wont have any effect on the reverse switch because that circuit will be open and there won't be any power running to it. There is a possibility that if you have the switch on and then also put it in reverse that the lights might pop, but I doubt it. I don't think that it would have any effect either way. Just run the wire from the battery to the positive wire on the lights.

I think you gotta do one more thing. IIRC the backup light switch is a
"ground interrupter". So you not only will want to supply 12v to it to drive it but you'll also have to supply ground as well. So maybe a DPST switch would be in order? (double pull single throw).

In the early XJ´s the trailer harness has a fused wire for the interior lights and such on a trailer. The brown with white stripe wire is the trailer back up lights. Not the same on all models, but on some/many the fuse is behind the drivers side kick panel. The trailer wiring and relays are in the right rear (cargo area) side panel. The trailer harness if not used, is often,wraped in a plastic bag and tied to the cross over harness (from tail light to tail light), behind the bumper on the left side. Could probably wire a switch, between the red and brown/with white stripe wire and get back-up lights.

Here is a wiring diagram for you:

570258_11_full.jpg

hope the pic turns out

Back