• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vari lok or hydra lok

torfinn

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if the vari lok or hydra lok differentials made by dana is available for the XJ? As I understand it is a very good locking differential.

Torfinn

They will fit, no problem. However, the VariLok equipped WJ's have different length axleshafts, due to the offset inside the differential. So you will need custom inner shafts to perform this swap.

I looked into doing this on my YJ a few years back and found it would be more costly than installing a Detroit or other full case locker.

The Vari-Lok diff is a progressive locking unit. It needs slip to make it transfer torque to the opposite wheel. While this set up would work good in mud or other loose surfaces, it doesn't perform well on rock.

Yes I know this is kinda oldish, but here it is anyway.

There is a hydra lok on Ebay right now, and I have never heard of a hydra lok. Can anyone give some info on them, or links, as it would be appreciated. Thanks

Fergie

Well, not much to say that hasn't been said. The lockers are called Vari-loc by Jeep, Hydra-loc by the units original manufacturer. There is a clutch, piston and oil pump inside the case. When one axle spins faster than the other, the pump produces pressure that applies pump pressure to the piston and then apllies the clutch and locks the diff. Very similar to a trac-loc with the clutches, but will release and not cause steering drag. This unit will not totally lock up, but is better than an open differential. The D30 in the front of the WJ's is slightly different than the average XJ D30, it is machined to accept the oil pick-up plenum that is attached to the ring gear side of the carrier. The axle size is larger, not sure about the spline count though. Custom axles would be needed to run this unit.

The Jeep website has some basic info on the Quadra-drive system.
http://www.jeep.com/grand_cherokee/4_wheel_drive.html?context=grand_cherokee-index&type=left&mtNav=0

You would be much better getting a drop in locker or a full replacement locking carrier made for the XJ D30.

Bryan

Bryan C. said:
Well, not much to say that hasn't been said. The lockers are called Vari-loc by Jeep, Hydra-loc by the units original manufacturer. There is a clutch, piston and oil pump inside the case. When one axle spins faster than the other, the pump produces pressure that applies pump pressure to the piston and then apllies the clutch and locks the diff. Very similar to a trac-loc with the clutches, but will release and not cause steering drag. This unit will not totally lock up, but is better than an open differential. The D30 in the front of the WJ's is slightly different than the average XJ D30, it is machined to accept the oil pick-up plenum that is attached to the ring gear side of the carrier. The axle size is larger, not sure about the spline count though. Custom axles would be needed to run this unit.

The Jeep website has some basic info on the Quadra-drive system.
http://www.jeep.com/grand_cherokee/4_wheel_drive.html?context=grand_cherokee-index&type=left&mtNav=0

You would be much better getting a drop in locker or a full replacement locking carrier made for the XJ D30.

Bryan
Bryan C,

Thanks for the links and info. I am def gonna pass on the auction and spring for something tried and true.

Fergie

Back