• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harbor Freight Jack Stand Recall

I have the 56372 jack stands, but it only looks like the 56371 are recalled. I guess I'm safe? I don't know what the difference is, they look the same to me

I have the 56372 jack stands, but it only looks like the 56371 are recalled. I guess I'm safe? I don't know what the difference is, they look the same to me

The difference is probably when they were made, and where the materials were sourced from.
I own the 6 ton model. I might find some time to take them in and swap them out. I've never had a problem with mine, but I guess it's when I DO have a problem I'll wish I'd have exchanged them.

From what I've seen, the teeth on the recalled ones were machined poorly and can slip. Saw a picture on FB comparing them to a non recalled set. Can't find it now, but if I see it again I'll post it up.

A couple of years ago I bought some 12-ton jack stands from HF. The first time I used them they both collapsed as soon as I lowered the front axle of the Jeep onto them. I discovered that the pawls were cast steel, and VERY roughly cast. They just didn't have teeth to sufficiently engage the matching teeth on the riser. I took them back. About a year later I was hanging out at Avery's place when a HB 12-ton jack stand collapsed under Bricker's jeep, with Bricker sitting on the ground right next to it. Thankfully, no one was under it. BE WARNED -- I'VE PERSONALLY SEEN HARBOR FREIGHT 12-TON JACK STANDS FAIL TWICE. ITS A PIECE OF CRAP PRODUCT AND NOT WORTH THE RISK, in my opinion.

BTW, lest anyone think I just have some sort of axe to grind with HB, I have owed a set of their 6-ton stands for years and use them regularly.

Yikes. I've always said, if it has moving parts, go somewhere other than HF. :D Thanks for this.

Agreed. Honestly, unless you are buying some one time use (hand) tool that you are going to use only a handful of times at HF, you should definitely reconsider your priorities in life.

I don't know man, back in the day harbor freight used to be cheap Chinese junk compared to everyone else. Now I feel like everyone else sells Chinese junk anyway so harbor freight isn't that different anymore.

I don't know man, back in the day harbor freight used to be cheap Chinese junk compared to everyone else. Now I feel like everyone else sells Chinese junk anyway so harbor freight isn't that different anymore.

Sadly, too true.

And the only jackstand I have ever had trouble with was one of my Snap-ons. Go figure.

Agreed. Honestly, unless you are buying some one time use (hand) tool that you are going to use only a handful of times at HF, you should definitely reconsider your priorities in life.

I got my 20" 12 spd drill press there on sale...and man, it has been awesome.

Only thing I have had to do other than use it is replace the on-off switch, as it stuck in the on position and I got tired of unplugging it when I was done.

It was on sale for like 249 back then (over 12 yrs ago) and was recommended by someone who told me when it bound up while using a hole saw for some cage tubing, it didn't stop, it swung the 6' piece of tubing around and knocked a hole in the wall and 'bout took his head off as it swung.

It has not disappointed me yet..........but it could use a better quality chuck....which is an easy fix.

I also got my newer tool chest and hang on cabinet from there......very impressed with them.

I did have to shim 1 wheel tho so it sat perfectly level empty, and I fully expect the zerk fittings in the aluminum wheels to be an issue.

I do agree tho, most things there are single use................

Pretty darn true actually.

I work in the trades and it is hard to find domestically made stuff these days. Even companies like klein are importing a large portion of their tools.

No.

It has always been hit and miss.

Some gems. Some turds.

Just have to think about the risk while you roll the dice.

Back