• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator recommendation?

As a much older mechanic, I'm amused by the talk about the superiority of metal tanks. I can't tell you how many radiators I have seen and/or repaired that leaked at the tank seams. Much more common than plastic tank leaks.
The chemistry of the newer coolants is so much better than in the past. Today, I don't see the rust and dirt in the coolants when flushing, usually looking very good when they are dumped.
Radiators now decay at much slower rates than in the past due to the better chemistry.
In the 'good, old days', the coolant was always nasty looking after only a year or two.
Believe it or not, these are the good, old days

nope, im saying OEM designed accordingly and it does make a difference.

Generally at lower speed is where the plastic tank makes a difference cooling. I cant speak to aluminum.

Plastic will insulate better, aluminum (crazy money btw) will be more susceptible to the radiating heat of the engine. If I had to guess, aluminum would really matter on the vehicle application(proximity to heat source thats not cooled/engine), or where you choose to mount the rad.

in my mind ide think an aluminum rad on say a tj is a better idea than under the hood on an xj, agian just spitballing assumption.

o.p. theres a flip side to this coin however. Your radiator was intended to transfer heat into the trans as well. If any aluminum rad cools better, you really need to be sure cooling is the most important function you want. The factory radiator runs trans fluid through it to get the trans up to operating temp quicker.

Sorry friend, but that is just bad information. They use plastic tanks because it’s cheaper.

After 9 years my original factory plastic radiator overflow barb broke off. Jb weld worked to hold it in place another 2 years before I got around to replacing it with an all brass 3 row csf, which was supposed to be the shit at the time. But the csf leaked in less than 3 years. Always ran warmer than factory, too. Replaced it with a plastic tank vista pro 436020 that was still working fine 10 years later when I replaced it due to the transmission making sparkles. Went with the plastic spectra, of course..

Back