NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 1st, 2009, 20:06
NAXJA Forum User

Replaced exhaust manifold, start engine and the RPM's go out of control!

I was so happy to have finally gotten the new exhaust manifold put on my '99 XJ. After I finally got done hooking up everything the way it was before, I started it up and the engine will rev out of control.

It does the same thing after multiple starts. I have to kill the engine immediately because the engine wants to blow itself up. What is wrong?!

Let me know if you know what causes this or have had the same problem. I gotta drive this thing to work in the morning!
Old January 1st, 2009, 20:14
Water is dirty

Re: Replaced exhaust manifold, start engine and the RPM's go out of control!

You've got a leak somewhere in the intake. Take a few mins off, go with a flashlight and a deep breath, and look at the seams. Happened to a buddy of mine after an engine swap and his intake was just a slight bit crooked at one end. Loosened up a few bolts, tapped it in place, tightened down, and it worked fine. Check out the throttle body and all the vac hoses on the intake manifold, too. Good luck!
Old January 1st, 2009, 20:24
NAXJA Forum User

I'm gonna shoot myself. Already been working on this thing for 8+ hours. It looked and felt like it was seated properly when i installed it. So with the intake being a little crooked, like your buddy's was, why would that cause the RPMs to be so high?
Old January 1st, 2009, 20:27
Water is dirty

Because it's letting too much air in. When you step on the gas, it opens the butterfly in the throttle body, right? That lets more air in, but it's under a controlled manner. If you've got half of the intake away from the head, you've got a MASSIVE intake leak...which is letting a ridiculous amount of air in...which also makes the engine race.
Old January 1st, 2009, 20:45
NAXJA Forum User

After looking it over, I found something broken, but I don't know what purpose it serves. What is this and could it be causing the problem or not? Here are 2 pics of it:

Old January 1st, 2009, 20:51
NAXJA Forum User

That is part of your crankcase vent system. it will not cause RPM problems. like the others said you either don't have the manifold seated properly or you left some vacuum lines loose.
Old January 1st, 2009, 20:53
NAXJA Forum User

CCV. Big freakin vacuum leak. Could be your culprit.
Old January 1st, 2009, 20:58
NAXJA Forum User

The other end of the hose goes to the airbox or intake pipe...I think. Which would not cause your problem since the air leak is before the throttle body. Should still be fixed though.
Old January 1st, 2009, 21:02
NAXJA Forum User

That tubing runs to the intake manifold. <edit> come to think of it, when I had the booster hose off the manifold, the idle jumped, but it didn't runaway completely. I'm thinking you've got a bigger leak, and a guess would be that the manifold isn't seated fully on the alignment pins. It can appear to be fully seated looking down on it, and still be open along the bottom.

Last edited by hubs97xj; January 1st, 2009 at 21:08.
Old January 1st, 2009, 21:38
NAXJA Forum User

Fix that because yes it will cause the RPMs to jump to about 2000. Its the EGR system and the front hose to the intake is the crank case breather. Make sure your brake assist hose is connected as well to the manifold.

With the EGR disconnected you should not hit the rev limiter so it could be a gasket (did you put it on backwards) and the EGR being unplugged causing a big vac leak.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:54
NAXJA Forum User

You definatly have a leak. i have done mine twice and the first time had no problems, but on the second one my intake manifold was hitting the exhaust manifold ever so slightly causing it to not get a good seal, which caused the exact same issues. i took a ball pein hammer to the exhast manifold and ever so slightly bent the last tube (closest to firewall) and i am talking SLIGHT just a few taps made enough clearance. i was good to go from there. oh while you are in there you might want to think about replacing your motor mounts.... just a thought. i hope this helps

G
Old January 2nd, 2009, 14:22
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperguy21 View Post
After looking it over, I found something broken, but I don't know what purpose it serves. What is this and could it be causing the problem or not? Here are 2 pics of it:

show us where the other end of that hose goes first. im too lazy to go look at my jeep
Old January 2nd, 2009, 15:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotanxj View Post
show us where the other end of that hose goes first. im too lazy to go look at my jeep
It goes to the air box.
Billy
Old January 2nd, 2009, 15:32
NAXJA Forum User

That line sucks the blow-by that collects in the cylinder head into the intake manifold. You could slip a tight piece of hose right over that to fix it. You want to fix it for sure, but I think your intake is probably leaking somewhere else too. But fix it first to find out. Or plug your finger over the part not attached to the valve cover and have someone start it to find out.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 15:47
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak21 View Post
It goes to the air box.
Billy
I thought there were two, one that goes to the airbox and one to the manifold?