• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winter Project - 2008

Frank Z

NAXJA Forum User
Since I finally got the motor for our Stratus rebuilt and running and finished a few other odds and ends it's time to get busy on the XJ.
The first things I want to get done are redesigning the crossmember/long arms, add frame stiffeners, and swap out the transmission too.
First up, what it looked like before getting started....
08Winter011.jpg

08Winter010.jpg

Rock sliders are off...
08Winter015.jpg

Me getting the long arms unbolted...
08Winter001.jpg

Crossmember/xfercase skid is out...
08Winter004.jpg

Started cleaning up for welding on some frame stiffeners....
08Winter006.jpg

Made a little progress today. Found out that the 98 transmission is set up a little bit different than my current 97 tranny. First up I had to remove the tailcone and swap the rear output speed sensor and rotor(changed from 1-pulse/rev to 4-pulse/rev.) You can see the 97 rotor on the bench beside the new tranny.
08Winter021.jpg

Seemed like a good time to replace the existing filter.
08Winter026.jpg

Yes I cleaned and reinstalled the magnets.
08Winter027.jpg

Daniel helped out today, couldn't have got the transmission in without his help (Thanks Son!!)
08Winter030.jpg

New transmission is now installed and the transfercase is back in palce as well. More work tomorrow as time allows.
Thanks for looking!

Frank how are you going to wheel that thing with it torn apart... :doh: Looks good Frank... Let me know if you need any help...

Got a little more accomplished since my last post...

Found a neat website to print out templates for coping tubes. Tried it out on the LA's.

First pic is the template after printing and cutting.
08Winter047.jpg

After tracing the desired pattern and grinding the tube the end result was pretty darn good.
08Winter050.jpg

New crossmember is on too...
08Winter044.jpg

08Winter046.jpg

Longarms are done and installed...and the tires no longer rub!!
08Winter051.jpg

08Winter052.jpg

Stay tuned.:beer:

do you have any specs on your long arms? Any plans? I'm interested in building some very similar to what you have.

That is bad ass! I am thinking about fabbing a cross member as well. I can only hope it turns out that good. Keep the photos coming!

Very impressive Frank! Those welds look a whole lot better than the ones I saw you do with a couple of batteries but those were quite impressive too! What didn't you like about your old long arm set up? And did you use you new home made bender to get that nice bend on your skid?

Thanks all! No spec's or dimensions to share, building evrything on the fly so to speak. The previous LA's were almost exactly the same but the frame ends were directly under the frame. This allowed the tires to rub and limited my steering. The new design moves the frame ends inboard slightly so that the arms are perpendicular to each other. Since I welded the frame stiffeners on, the original crossmember was 3/8" to narrow so a new one was fabbed up.

The hoop that forms the transfercase skid was a spare that I had in the garage.

The bender should be finished tomorrow and I'll use it to complete the new sliders...stay tuned.

Clean work there Frank.....
Got a link to the site that you printed the templates off of?And any info on that homemade bender also???

Were you worried about warping the unibody due to heat when you were welding these stiffeners up?

Last edited:
Thanks all! No spec's or dimensions to share, building evrything on the fly so to speak.

alrighty then! how about this..... what kind of joints did you use?

awesome, thanks.

Finally got around to installing an AEM cone filter, been putting that off for a while. No pics, but we've all seen cone filters before.:eeks1:

Yanked the Bushwhacker flares...
08Winter054.jpg

Getting started on cutting out the rockers...
08Winter058.jpg

My son Daniel got into cutting the rockers...

08Winter061.jpg

Then he used a flapper to smooth out the rough spots...
08Winter063.jpg

Initial fit of the new rockers/sliders...
08Winter064.jpg

The boy approves...
08Winter065.jpg

Last edited:
Back