• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Corroded Battery Cable Replacement (tons of pics/summary)

It really should also connect to the block, the reason the sensor grounds go there is to keep the sensor signals clean and voltage offset free even when there is a heavy current draw such as the starter cranking. You will be fine as long as your engine to firewall and engine to battery grounds are solid though...

I do have the Works In Progess cable kit installed. But maybe I will add a ground from the stud by the oil dip stick up to my new ground terminal for good measure.

Nice write up. It's a bit different with newer model xj's also. I have an 01 and only had to unbolt the positive cable to the starter. I decided to replace the whole positive cable since I upgraded to a red top.
254782_10100888970882405_856529000_n.jpg

You're welcome, I hope it helped! You look like you do some serious off-roading.... Did you have any trouble putting back that PDC front cap once you used thicker cable? I had to cut mine down to get it to seat again.

for the fusebox? i took a dremmel to the side of it. lol.

Ok, I'm glad it wasn't just me. The OEM cable had a 90* bend in it, I think I got mine to about 80* I used some tin snips to cut one side shorter.

I freshened up all of my ground contact points yesterday. I took the dremel with a wire brush head and went to town on EVERY contact point I know of, even the screws. Got everything down to fresh bare metal. I then cleaned with electrical cleaner, coated everything with dielectric grease and reassembled. I feel like everything runs a little better now. Lights are a little brighter. Voltage doesn't plummet as far with all of the accessories on.

Question 1 Are there any other grounds other than the following....
B- to alternator
B- to fender well
Engine strap to firewall
after market stereo amp to metal crossmember that the rear seat rests on
two wires that come out of the loom on the drivers side and screw into the fender well almost exactly opposite of the B- to fenderwell.

Question 2 Will doing the same to all of my positive terminal connections provide the same benefit?

I know upgrading the wires will help but, I'm really tight and trying to make the most of every FREE option I have. 96 country
progress.gif

There's a ton of disagreement on that subject and both sides have some good points. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

I happen to fall on the other side of that argument, but I don't feel like rehashing it. It'll probably be fine either way, so do it however you want :)

^ Are you referring to solder? I live in a heavy salt-air environment. All wire connection are under severe attack and the ones that are not soldered, the corrosion creeps in and up the wire rather quickly. Even if it's wrapped well with quality heat-shrink.
In Arizona it is likely a non-issue.

Yeah - I'm also in a salty environment (though only during the winter) and I've not noticed that, in my case, wires tend to break right where the solder stops due to the added stress transitioning from a solid soldered slug to strands. Depending on the flux used, flux intrusion into the wire can cause corrosion issues as well, which is why I recommend rosin and lightly activated rosin flux ONLY, no acid flux. Water washable flux is fine, but only if you actually wash it off, leaving it on the joint is asking for corrosion problems.

Yeah - I'm also in a salty environment (though only during the winter) and I've not noticed that, in my case, wires tend to break right where the solder stops due to the added stress transitioning from a solid soldered slug to strands. Depending on the flux used, flux intrusion into the wire can cause corrosion issues as well, which is why I recommend rosin and lightly activated rosin flux ONLY, no acid flux. Water washable flux is fine, but only if you actually wash it off, leaving it on the joint is asking for corrosion problems.

Thank you for the reply. All your points make sense. When I solder I try to minimize the slug transition by tapering.
I was wondering about leftover flux, if it protects the connection or not. I will be sure and get rosin flux.
Thanks again!

MeanLemons (member/vendor here, posts under "XJWonders") is probably a better bet right now - Jon (5-90) hasn't been active much in a while.

Back