• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HVAC controls - clarification?

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
('89 XJ, no A/C)

I recently had the vacuum leak at the bottle in the bumper causing my heat to only come out of the defrost vents. I took a look at the vac lines and the hard lines were all extremely hard and cracked so I broke them back to the part where they were flexible and rerouted everything - now I get air coming out of the front vents. But here's the catch.

On "Bi-Level" mode, I get most of my air on the lower horizontal vent in the center. Then there's less air coming out of the left driver side, even less coming out at the feet, and no air coming from the passenger side vents.

Also, the Heat mode seems to redirect air.. nowhere? It doesn't come out of any vents that I can find. The vent mode works just as the Bi-Level except none comes out of the bottom. (Expected).

So here are my questions,
where does the "HEAT" mode direct air to?
Why would there be air coming out of some vents but not others? I suppose a line could've come off of the vent.

Also, I noticed that the pinkish vac line coming from the firewall and ending up at a valve for the coolant coming into the heater was broken. As in, it doesn't connect to the valve anymore. It doesn't seem to affect anything that I know of, and when I jimmy'd it back on, the valve didn't seem to move at all with any of the different heat modes.

Thanks!

keuh48.gif

The only problems I ever had with my 87 (No A/C) was the actuator cable for the blend door, I think, fell off (between the glove box and the heater box). The kids dropping Mc Donalds toys, pencils pens and other assorted junk in the vents. And one time I had the vacuum connector (like 4-5 vacuum lines in a rubber connector) come loose on the top of the control unit.
I once had to change a defrost mix pot, the diaphragm was leaking, though I did that to stop the whistle and not because it wasn't working. It worked fine, it just hissed and whistled.

Back