• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine mount bolt size?

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know what size bolt is used to bolt the engine mount bracket to the engine bolt? There's three on each side that thread directly into the block.

I need to pick up some new ones on my way home from work today and I forgot to bring an old one with me.

THANKS!

There have been some problems with those botls breaking. I wouild just go to the dealer and pick them up, that way you will get the right size and right grade of bolt. Even it they are $5 or $10 each the job they do it worth that.

There have been guys posting on here who had those same bolts break and the engine fell over while they were going down the road. With dealer bolts you know any improvements to the bolt were incorporated plus it is the right bolt for the appliation.

I'd also chase the threads in the block before I installed. On my 88 XJ there was a TSB on the through bolt - the bolt through the rubber mount and engine bracket. While you are there at the dealer ask them if they could give you the torques for the bolts. This is a situation where I'd use a torque wrench instead of my non-calibrated arm.

I had my local garage replace my leaf spring bushings, the tech told me the bolt for the shackle/leaf spring joint was rusted. I went to the dealer, picked up a pair of new ones. They came with the lock tite applied to the threads. No regrets of getting a suspension bolt from the dealer. I'd consider the bolts you are looking for in the same category and will spend the extra to know my engine does not fall out.

dealer bolts wont help niether will grade 8 or grade 5. Trying stainless. file a complaint with the DOT and they will recall them.

Wow this is an old thread, but FWIW I replaced the bolts with grade 8 and one of those broke. Right now I have Unbrakos in. They have 180ksi tensile strength (vs 150kis for grade 8). I know they are probably breaking in a combination of tensile, shear and bending but try fiiguring out what the true failure mechanism is....

We'll see how long these last.

Also, complaing to DOT, Jeep, etc accomplishes nothing, I know I did both. It's a common and well know issue that's 10+ years old and will never be addressed.

Back