• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Manual Kickdown to First

WildernessJeep

NAXJA Forum User
It looks like I'm going to have to rebuild my 1998 AW4 transmission. I'll probably also do the NP231 at the same time. One of my big complaints with this setup is that it won't stay in first, and will upshift to second gear. I'm recalling a way to install a switch that will keep it in first gear for a steep decline. My searches didn't show any solutions. Anyone got a trick for me to make this setup even more capable?

It looks like I'm going to have to rebuild my 1998 AW4 transmission. I'll probably also do the NP231 at the same time. One of my big complaints with this setup is that it won't stay in first, and will upshift to second gear. I'm recalling a way to install a switch that will keep it in first gear for a steep decline. My searches didn't show any solutions. Anyone got a trick for me to make this setup even more capable?

Don't jump to conclusions. I had the same issue before I adjusted my shift linkage. Fixed my issue along with a few others( NSS issues). Adjust it and give it a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a 1 to 2 easy defeat out there!

The best answer IMHO is not the electric switch since it causes a check engine light on newer XJs but the shift kit available for the AW4. You get better and more solid shifts and it deals with the 1/2 issue. You can get them at Jegs/Summit/RockAuto for less than $100.

The best answer IMHO is not the electric switch since it causes a check engine light on newer XJs but the shift kit available for the AW4. You get better and more solid shifts and it deals with the 1/2 issue. You can get them at Jegs/Summit/RockAuto for less than $100.

X2

It works great.

What these guys said. Transgo HD-2 shift kit and forget about it. The stock TCU does a pretty good job once you firm things up a bit.

http://a.co/dQ8rCrK

This seems backward to me. When in 1-2, mine stays in first and won't shift to second until like 4500 rpm. Initially I thought it was a problem, and searched the internet for a solution, but as I recall, the consensus was that this was normal.

Edit: I see yours is a 98, maybe it's different than my 96?

Last edited:
For full control go to: http://www.radesignsproducts.com. I have the RAIL II shifter in my XJ. He makes great products and will give you full manual control and retain auto function for daily driving. His prices are good as well and I he is a sponsor here.

This is exactly what I've been looking for! Are you totally pleased with the setup? I was strongly considering swapping in a 5 speed but this seems to be the best of both worlds. I like the torque converter lockup switch too.

This seems backward to me. When in 1-2, mine stays in first and won't shift to second until like 4500 rpm. Initially I thought it was a problem, and searched the internet for a solution, but as I recall, the consensus was that this was normal.

Edit: I see yours is a 98, maybe it's different than my 96?

I believe it is supposed to stay in First until you redline then it goes to second. Mine used to shift into 2nd really quick and not hold first at all sucked going down steep hills. I changed the NSS for another issue and it changed mine to the stay in first till redline. I do not know the correlation, but that is what changed mine.

This is exactly what I've been looking for! Are you totally pleased with the setup? I was strongly considering swapping in a 5 speed but this seems to be the best of both worlds. I like the torque converter lockup switch too.

I love my RADesigns setup. I also installed the torque converter lock at the same time. He also has a stand alone shifter but I chose the RAIL II because I do occasionally drive my XJ on the street and wanted to retain full auto function as well. Rory is a great guy to deal with and will answer any questions you may have.

Last edited:
Back