• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kickdown...Won't !!!

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
When I'm climbing a hill, or want to pass someone, and I floor it...it won't kick down. I have the TV cable adjusted properly. Everything else shifts & works fine...except for this issue. Any ideas??

When I'm climbing a hill, or want to pass someone, and I floor it...it won't kick down. I have the TV cable adjusted properly. Everything else shifts & works fine...except for this issue. Any ideas??

Bad throttle position sensor?

I had the opposite problem where it would shift sporadically for no reason at a steady speed. Throttle position sensor changed and no more problems.

The TV cable isn't actually a "kickdown" cable--it varies fluid pressure within the transmission based on throttle position.

There is a kickdown valve in the transmission, but I would first test the TPS through its full range of operation (analog meter is best unless you have a HQ digital meter), and make sure it is adjusted correctly.

Also, just for grins and giggles, when was the last time the fluid was changed? Dex III was only good for 30k miles MAX, and if it was overheated you have to cut the life IN HALF for each time it was overheated.

Try this, too.

Cruiser’s Trans Plug Refreshing

Over near the transmission dipstick tube are 2 rather large connectors. One is black and the other gray. These 2 connectors carry all the info between TPS, TCU, NSS, speed sensor, and transmission solenoids.
Unplug each one, visually inspect for corrosion or bent pins, spray them out with electrical contact cleaner and plug them back in.

Additionally, if your Jeep is an 87 to 90 Renix, it’s always a good idea to reach up under the glovebox area and unplug the connector to the TCU and spray it out along with the receptacle of the TCU. While you’re there, find the fuse right in that area for the TCU. Remove it and spray out it’s receptacle and clean any corrosion from the fuse.
Revised 9-10-2012

Back