• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blowing black smoke... HELP!

smASHLEY

NAXJA Forum User
So here's the deal. After a nice trip down to Baja the gas mileage of 10-12 MPG was extremely irritating and I had enough. So after much scouring of the internet the two most common problems were the EGR and PCV valve. So, I decided to start with the PCV valve by taking off the valve cover and scrubbing it down. While I was doing this I decided, hey I'll bore out the throttle body a bit and smooth out the air flow. So after scrubbing down the valve cover and clearing up the hoses with brake cleaner, I bored out the throttle body and cleaned off the IAC with some brake cleaner. I used my air compressor to blow out all the shavings and rinsed it off with some WD-40 (I ran out of brake cleaner.) I disconnected the battery and grounded the positive terminal and turned the car on without starting so it would clear the computer. Now it starts better then it did but idles horribly and is spewing out black smoke (which reeks of gas) like you wouldn't believe. I am at a loss; any help would be greatly appreciated and is much needed.
hasta-smAshley

Not clear if you have a renix or an HO, but my renix 4.0 ran exactly like that -way rich & pitiful MPG- when I left a vacuum line disconnected (between the throttle body and the MAP sensor on the firewall) Hooking the line back up fixed it

LOL wow, I remember running through a tank of fuel in like two days (vs 5 normally) wondering WTF... then I spotted that hose loose.

I hope it works out for the good!

Back