• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hjeepxj's build thread

wow man beautiful rig! I'm getting ready to start a complete overhaul on mine, interior, lift suspension, steering, gears etc. how to you like that paint on the underside, and what are you using on the interior floor for corrosion protection and sound/heat?

wow man beautiful rig! I'm getting ready to start a complete overhaul on mine, interior, lift suspension, steering, gears etc. how to you like that paint on the underside, and what are you using on the interior floor for corrosion protection and sound/heat?

Thank you!!!

I am loving this paint. I took the advice of "OLDMAN" on this forum - anybody with a screen name like that has to have knowledge. :D

In all seriousness, the Top Secret coatings is the only thing I'll use for this project - it is seriously durable and it's UV resistant (POR15 is not). I used the TS100 semi gloss with matching primer (I called them and asked which one they recommended. I will use this on the interior as well.

For the sound/heat part, it is a product similar to Dynamat but it isn't Dynamat - I'll try to find out what the name of it is. I've put it on the interior roof and it makes a big difference.

29272017637_e855d03018_o.jpg

BOOM. Flexed out pretty good.

Getting the Ron Davis radiator, the Hesco water pump and high volume Tstat housing with a new Tstat installed this week.

Pray to the Jeep gods, I should be able to get it in the dirt this weekend!

So, I went on another shake down and realized I don't want to wheel this year with the ARB's not working so I'm getting them plumbed in this week. Also getting my Tcase skid and my rock sliders installed. I feel goofy not doing the work myself but 1. I've done a lot of work to this pig and 2. I literally do not have the time to do these things myself.

Here's how it sits now:

46818950625_c11c0347be_b.jpg
[/url]#ocdink 4-20191 by alheesacker, on Flickr[/IMG]

46818950555_3dd9fd6dc9_b.jpg
[/url]#ocdink 4-20192 by alheesacker, on Flickr[/IMG]

But will it ever be used for it's true purpose?:laugh3:

BUT IT'S TOO PRETTY AND I'VE PUT TO MUCH WORK IN TO IT.

:laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:

I've had it on two trails so far, hopefully many more this summer.

I was really hoping to get the XJ out this weekend. No such luck - maybe sometime in June :/

Rock rails are installed, along with Tcase skid plate. ARB compressor and f/r ARB's all plumbed in, I installed my rear quarter panel armor, A JCR center console bracket, and a Blue Ridge Overland seat molle panel with my IFAK's/CB radio. I'll try to get some more shots of the compressor mounting, it is mounted next to the master cylinder.

My to do list for this winter:

Roof rack (an old Confer rack, sand blast/powder coat to match all accessories)
Dirtbound bumper brackets (the only down fall to the Trail Ready bumper is it only mounts to the stock location)
Warn Zeon 10k platinum
PIAA Bumper lights
Azzy's design guages
Genright gas tank
I'll probably start moving forward on the 4.7 stroker (my uncle owns a machine shop, has done Jeep engines, and is 70...so I know there's a time line on this - I don't forsee completion until next winter at the earliest LOL)
Atlas II

*IF* things go according to plan (HA!) I'll have more time this winter to work on it and I'll pull the interior back out, do my Top Secret coatings and the dynamat, I'll wire in rear cubes, rock lights, and a light bar on the roof rack.

47954920371_78e0022861_b.jpg
[/url]Blue ridge overland gear seat storage by alheesacker, on Flickr[/IMG]

47954881098_4539eceafc_b.jpg
[/url]Switches by alheesacker, on Flickr[/IMG]

47954843282_2159149649_b.jpg
[/url]#ocdink 5-28-19 by alheesacker, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Sweetness!!!

Sweetness!!!

Gracias!!

So I was able to get it out and try a slightly more difficult trail - Grizzly Lake close to Buena Vista, CO. It did great, I got to use the lockers and they performed well.

One un-diagnosed issue; the steering wheel keeps adjusting, it usually lives about three inches to the right but will adjust as I drive back to straight (some times) and after wheeling yesterday it is now about five inches to the left....the tie rod and drag link are straight and the TRE's have not adjusted and it still drives remarkably straight and handles well....what could be causing this?

Also, it has a bit of a heat soak issue, my plan is to finally order the Genright tank, a new fuel pump, the insulation kit for the fuel rail, and some Napier hood vents. That should take care of it.

48380824912_bc46e66328_b.jpg

48380825587_0e06d81454_b.jpg

48380683686_6aa16ec4d1_b.jpg

Oh my God it wheels! Looks good! How was the ledge at the start? That's a cool trail but that first big hill is a little interesting...

Thank you!! The first of A LOT of wheeling with this thing. Still have a laundry list of stuff to do to it but you know how that goes lol.

It was bone dry on the way in so it was fairly easy, it took me two tries. Got me a gnarly piece of rock rash on my rock rail. Justin's clean/mild rig is open open so we had to pull him up but it was non dramatic, as he's a good driver to begin with.

I do NOT remember that ledge being there in '04 (last time I ran it), I ran it open/open and had no issues...

UPDATES

I installed the D&C Extreme cage I've had forever. I added some extra support and one day when I am bored will go back and add some angle bars for additional support. I mounted a fire extinguisher, padding, and some OS handles.

Cage went together fairly easily, as usual, painting took longer than assembling the cage.

I painted the tub with Top Secret Coatings primer and TS100 milspec paint (along with the cage). I am undecided on what to do with the overhead console so that's on hold and I need to order some visors that fit on a cage.

I put a two stage dynamat on the floor and have more to do the doors and whatnot. That's a great upgrade. I have the Metra kit and will be doing a very nice stereo upgrade sometime in September.

I got it out a few times this year and hope to do a couple more before the snow flies.

I'm going to install a winch in a couple of weeks (Warn Zeon 10k Platinum because 'Merica) and I need to order the Genright gas tank (also because 'Merica).

50229336686_d9a35e7cb3_k.jpg

50228692663_305587fc68_k.jpg

50228692193_fe4669e5a5_k.jpg

50229561197_76dc7b0f72_k.jpg

50229336691_2ea18f74cb_k.jpg

50228691038_2d32849a35_k.jpg

50229342111_61ca1e3a55_k.jpg

50229335651_4e3f9c4eac_k.jpg

50228691823_2870fb127b_k.jpg

My passenger side sway bar bracket (that was fabbed) some how bent to the outside so I'll need to fix that.

50228697863_3ced9dd714_k.jpg

50228692198_f4d1f5670c_k.jpg

50229560107_2e857b82eb_b.jpg

Last edited:
Love it! Why the need for dynomat? Just curious... I’ve always only done doors and trunks- big subs going in?

What lake is that/ trail you are on?? These fires are gut wrenching man, hope to hit some spots like that though Im up in FoCo and was half a mile from the chambers fire camping before evac.. headed up to Estes for the rest of my weekend- smoke is baaad today tho

Back