• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jet flame coming out of my exhaust

Tyquan

NAXJA Forum User
99 cherokee sport auto. I have no muffler. When I'm off road and go through a decent sized water hole my truck starts to sputter really bad then dies. It takes a few seconds for it to start but when it does its bearly running and feels like it's going to die again. While it's trying to run theres flames coming out of my exhaust and the pipe is cherry red ! It's popping and making all kinds of loud noises. After a min it will run fine and no flames. I do have a engine code that reads bank 1 sensor 2 which is a oxygen sensor trouble code. Can anyone tell me why my truck shoots flames after i go through a little bit of water?

because ur getting water on the 02 sensor, and it takes time to burn it off. you've wrecked the 02 sensor, which is not telling the engine how to run properly.

when you say THROUGH a water hole, do you mean it dies while you're in the water? do you even have a snorkel or the factory fjording kit? when you say no muffler, do you mean you chopped it off after the cat (is the cat even there?), or removed the muffler and straight piped it.

sounds to me like you shouldn't be driving in water. engine codes generally tell you the problem...hence, your engine code has told you the problem. fix the problem.

I removed the muffler so my exhaust pipe ends under the passenger seat a little bit after my transfer case. I dont have a snorkel of water forging kit. i never had a problem like this untill I replaced my engine. what if i disconnect the o2 sensor which is the furtherest away from the engine. Would my truck not stall?

02 sensors are necessary for engine operation. (or they will either not run, or throw codes and not pass inspection)

do you have a catalytic converter? this is a fuel/air issue, and you DEFINITELY have screwed sensors if your exhaust is getting red. alot of carbon buildup also...be careful, you could burn up pistons.

where's your intake?
how deep of water do you get through?
does it die WHILE IN the water, or when you get out?

....if it died in the water, with no muffler or cat, water travels back up the pipe a bit and would make everything in there wet.

I'd consider running a muffler again, if you like the loudness, get a Flowmaster Super 40. It should help keep the water from getting too far up your tailpipe. I could be a retard, but hey at least I'm a retard who hasn't ever had flames shooting out of his exhaust...:D Or at least try running straight pipe out to the back end of the jeep. I filled my exhaust with water once (engine too) but once we cleared the engine and cranked it over, the water came shootin out the back and everything's been fine since.

if it dies a little bit after you get outta the water you may have gotten your distributor wet. i have on mine and the pipe between the cat and muffler was red and i couldn't go above 25 mph. is it still running like that? usually if you just let it be for a while the water will evaporate.

Tyquan said:
I removed the muffler so my exhaust pipe ends under the passenger seat a little bit after my transfer case. I dont have a snorkel of water forging kit. i never had a problem like this untill I replaced my engine. what if i disconnect the o2 sensor which is the furtherest away from the engine. Would my truck not stall?

I'm no rocket surgeon but between heat, CO and now FLAMES, ending your tailpipe sooner than factory is not smart.

law.74 said:
I'm no rocket surgeon but between heat, CO and now FLAMES, ending your tailpipe sooner than factory is not smart.

Why? It doesn't change anything in this situation. Get a muffler it will prevent the water from going to far. Your O2s are shot http://www.oxygengeek.com/ I got these they're really cheap.

Back