• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 woes

Sonic16

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I’m on my 4th pinion seal in 6 months. I keep installing them and they keep leaking. I do all the things: lube the inside, use rtv on the rim, torque the nut. The pinion itself also does not wiggle. All that and the damn thing keeps leaking. Any suggestions regarding what I might be missing here?

Do you need a new yoke? Have you micro-polished the seal surface?

BTW, are you using a new crush sleeve with every install?

How are you achieving the proper pinion bearing pre-load? Are you using a new pinion nut with loctite?

Gotta be something else going on here, I just zapped mine off with the impact, popped a new seal in, zapped it back on good'n'tight and haven't leaked a drop in 30k miles. I know its highly unlikely but maybe the pinion shaft isn't true anymore.

The LP D30 uses crush sleeves.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm not using a new crush sleeve. Is there a way to test the current one to determine whether it is bad?

A few other folks suggested a clogged vent tube. I'm going to try that as well.

Crush sleeves are considered a "one use" item, that's why getting the proper pre-load is so critical.

Back