• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

biggest allowable tire size with stock axles?

danja2

NAXJA Forum User
So I am looking to put an 8" iron rock long arm kit on my xj..problem is, I want to put 37's on there. I am pretty sure that I would have to upgrade my whole axles for that though. Would I be able just to replace the axleshafts instead of the whole axlex? I would obviously also do the gearing to like 4:56 or 4:88. My xj is 2000, so it has 8.25 chrystler in back and d30 in front. If I need a lot more work than I expect, should I be fine with 35's and upgraded gears?

you have some research to do.

you can build the stock axles up to handle 35's and have decent gearing. but i wouldnt run anything more on a dana30 or 8.25

but to run 37's happily and reliably would require at least a built dana44 front and something a little heftier in the rear. and for 37's you are lookin at 5.38 gears to get most of your your power back. the stock axles don't go deep enough gearing-wise.

you have some research to do.

you can build the stock axles up to handle 35's and have decent gearing. but i wouldnt run anything more on a dana30 or 8.25

but to run 37's happily and reliably would require at least a built dana44 front and something a little heftier in the rear. and for 37's you are lookin at 5.38 gears to get most of your your power back. the stock axles don't go deep enough gearing-wise.

exactly what he says, get out your wallet!

also It's alot of work to go with 35's you need to upgrade braking(wj swap ect.) 4.56's with 33's you'll be better than stock with plenty of sack to pull a trailer or whatever you decide on.

U really think I have to upgrade brakes for 35's? I really wanna get the 8 inch lift and put in 35's cuz 33's with 8" is obv too small. And by swapping, what does that entitle?

if you want to run 35's on a d30 and be reliable be prepared to you WJ outters(calipar rotors, steering, unit hubs&jks spacers, alot of money to invest in a d30 IMO, If you want 35's and are set on them go with waggy 44's but be prepared to get out your wallet( axle brackets, gearing&lockers, brakes ect.)

8 inches of lift is too much for 35" tires. You're asking for a top heavy pig on the trail.

I run 6.5" and even that could go lower with some fender trimming and bumpstops.

Depending on your driving style, you can make your D30 last on a set of 35's, but you're asking for trouble sooner or later. You'd be much happier with a rig on 4.5" of lift with 33" tires on the trail and save the big stuff for when you have the money to buy big boy axles.

4.5 to 5 inches is all you'll need, oh and you might want to rethink you plan for IRO longarms that caster adjustment is is weak!

Sounds like you need to buy my axles, install them (bolt in) in a weekend, and be beating the crap out of them on 35's with no worries (I am...Q78's). PM me if interested.

I agree, 8" of lift is way too much.

I just steped up to 35s, running 4:56s and I dont think its all that bad. I have zj disks in the rear and feel that it stops pretty decent. I ordered up a set of chrom mollys for the front but have plans on switching out the 30 for a built 44.

I've done this too. I put a Ford 8.8 in the back with Disks, braking is better with the rear disks. I'd like to get some baer or brembo brake calipers and some slotted rotors up front, but those will come later.

Search. Seriously. This is covered numerous times, and even has a sticky at the top of the forum. There is a lot of info available about axles and tire size.

If you want to run 37's...i make two suggestions

9 inch rear
44 front

Minimum

Dont waste your time with IRO long arms, been there done that.

casteradjuster-1.jpg

Are you building your jeep to look cool at the mall along with all the other "bro" trucks? Or do you actually want to wheel?

Search. Seriously. This is covered numerous times, and even has a sticky at the top of the forum. There is a lot of info available about axles and tire size.

No need to get big dude, I know about stickies but I am getting into a little more detail and am trying to figure out if I would need really good upgraded axles, so thanks.

But yea I do wheel a lot. I had a jeep that i lifted with 6.5" short arm RC lift (yes, I know..POS)...but I was a beginner and I learned a lot from that jeep. But okay I will stay away from IRO lol.

Back