• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My low mileage XJ

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
Just passed emissions for the 22nd year on my 2000, and as always the guys at the emissions station are surprised by the record low mileage. I was 79987 as of today!

You have to get an emissions test every year? What does it entail?
Even in the Peoples Republic of Kommiefornia, we do it once every two years, and new cars are exempt for I believe 6 years.
We used to do the dyno and tailpipe sniffer, still do on OBD1 cars. But for OBD2, they plug it into the computer and do a visual. If the computer says everything is good, then it passes. No dyno or sniffer.

They only do the testing every other year and all they do is test the gas cap (my 22yr old original) and test the OBD II port.

The extent of testing in kanas is to check the Vin on the car against the one on the title if you bought it out if state. That's it. If you bought it from someone in state you take the title to the courthouse and walk out with a tag. If it's antique without a title they check the Vin to see if it's stolen, if not you get a new title. Just a few great things about living in the fly over states.

Minnesota started smog testing in 1991. The test program was cancelled and all the state owned testing stations were sold off because by 1999 so few vehicles were failing the tests, people started to complain.

We don't have smog testing in West Virginia just the state inspection Hopefully it stays that way.

Indiana, Rollin Coal. I will say the cars look a lot better in the past years, than when I moved here in the early 90's. I did get my 2000 XJ tag, titled and insured yesterday. Drives good.

Back