• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Race Jack Skidplates from Ruffstuff!

Dan Fredrickson

NAXJA Forum User
The first thing I should say here is, was there ever a time you felt comfortable using a Hi Lift Jack? They scare the crap out of me! You have 1 eye on what you are working on and the other on the jack.

I am seeing the rock crawling crowd go along with the desert guys on this and are switching to a skid mounted floorjack. There is still a need for a Hi Lift now and then but most avoid it if at all possible.

We are just finishing up our Craftsman 2 Ton and HF 3,000lb skids, these 2 jacks are by far the most popular. There are definately better jacks available but not til you spend over $750. These 2 cost $239 & $139 respectivley. They both have their fans but in my opinion are really about equal, definately not the best (Best=$750+) but pretty good jacks. Both are also well under 40lbs set up this way, the HF is only 32lbs.

I put 2 holes in the wrong place for the Craftsman so it won't be ready til Monday but here you are with the HF. It is made from 1 piece of .125 Aluminum with only 4-1.5" welds. The ends actually form a ski tip shape so it can slide over anything. There are 6 bolts per side holding them on and they came with your jack so they don't add to the cost.
normal_Shop%20Move%20020.jpg

There is a handle built into the back of the HF Jack Skid, the Craftsman has holes to mount the handle that came with it...We left the factory handles on for ease, some will want to use them and some won't but they are setup to use them if you want. I like them with the left side handle on because I am left handed but they aren't really needed.

With the very tight tollerances we build into these they don't have to be any thicker, we first made them from 3/16" plate and it was just adding weight.
normal_Shop%20Move%20019.jpg

We set these up with the rollers still in place so they can still be used easily around the shop and they don't slow you down offroad either...
normal_Shop%20Move%20023.jpg

I am not yet certain of the price yet but they should be in the $90 to $110 range and at the end of next week we should have something else to go with them that you will want so keep your eyes open

Last edited:
hm, very nice! Can you post the part number of the hf jack? What grade Aluminum? May have to get into one of these:). I will have to look at a retaining method for quick release mounting it, pull pins etc.... Nice work as always!

Dan you are the MAN!!! We love the fact that your R&D keeps coming up with new stuff.
Keep it up!
Mike & Dave BCS Fabrication

Finally, the Craftsman Rac Jack Skid!

normal_Craftjack1.jpg

You can still use the rear wheels if you want to...And we relocated the handle, it is set up to use it 3 different ways. I lke it this way, it feels better...

normal_Craftjack3.jpg

We left just enough room for the wheel to work well on pavement or in the shop but not affect your use in the dirt.

normal_Craftjack4.jpg

A very clean approach, and these skids will actually skid! Why do most of the guys making these make the ends a wall rather than a skid...

normal_Craftjack5.jpg

That is pretty neat. Good work, it looks like it would function well and looks clean!

Very nice as all of your parts are....Need to order one of those

I have one of these. Anyone got pics of how they mounted it? I got the ruffstuff pull latch/pin whatever it's called. I did a google search can't really find anyhting on it.

Back