• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Select trac vs Command trac

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
A foundational question. I'm wondering if 95 may have been a transitional year in Transfer cases. I have command trac but my owners manual lists both. Did the earlier years just have select and the later models have just command or was there usually both available.
It seems the transmission was the same in my 95 for both transfer cases. But it sounds like the select trac is the most common.
gregg

The 242 was almost always an option. I have one in my 89. They list both so that they do not have to print two books. They put every option in the manual.
There is only one auto trans from 87-01 the AW4.

K

both were available for many years

search NP231 and NP242 and you can read about the differences and pros/cons of each, as well as how to make them stronger/better for your applicaion.

katarn444 said:
The 242 was almost always an option. I have one in my 89. They list both so that they do not have to print two books. They put every option in the manual.
There is only one auto trans from 87-01 the AW4.
That's the same production range as the NP231 and 242 were used; both t-cases were available throughout that entire range.

tgregg said:
Thanks that helps me understand a lot. So any TCU I get from 87 to 01 will work?
How did we go from transfer cases to TCU's? What is the actual question because these two are unrelated. Oh and I don't think the TCU's will swap over through the years as they interface with the comp differntly. The AW4 though I believe will work with the AW4 XJ TCU's regardless of year.

Sorry for taking a left step. I started with a TCU question in another topic and realized I wasn't sure on the basics. Now I understand about the transmission and the T/C I will ask my other question better.
thanks

langer1 said:
No in 95-96 the TCU was built into the ECU, some 95’s had a separate TCU and some didn’t
Are you sure that the TCU was built into the ECU in 95 and 96? Cause I know older models (93-? 94-?)had it separate and 97+ have them separate as well.

Kejtar said:
Are you sure that the TCU was built into the ECU in 95 and 96? Cause I know older models (93-? 94-?)had it separate and 97+ have them separate as well.
I don't know for sure, I thought that they started in 95 or 96 to build them in.

Back