• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ fuel tank (where can I get?)

theMJ6000

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone. I purchased a 88 MJ 4.0L auto with shortbed (113" wheelbase) on a very cold day and I didn't get to take a super close look at everything. One thing I missed was the gas tank. It has been epoxy pathched in places and rust is eating it alive. I found this out when I put gas in it for the first time and it leaked like a sieve. It doesn't like more than 1/4 tank or more.

Now I called the local auto stores, and they want $300. Napa's website says $144, but they said it should be $289 when I called. Does anyone know of a tank that would retro fit, or where I could get one cheaper?

Thanks!

JP5B.jpg
part number jp5b

Last edited:
I think I remember some putting an XJ tank in their MJ with little difficulty. Maybe I an wrong though.

Chris

I'd look for a plastic tank...there is alot of room under there...I wonder if a different pick up truck tank would fit?

Or you can always go with the fuel cell in the bed look......................

thanks for the replies guys.

i would think that the xj would fit too, but i'm still not sure why they used different fuel tanks aside from the differnent capacities.

this should be an image from the xj (xj = 103" wheelbase, mj= 113" wb)

JP2ABCD.jpg
(note the vent holes . . . only difference?)

The XJ's gas tank is located behind the rear axle, hence the hole for the fill tube is completely wrong. Oh, and last I heard, fuel cells were not DOT approved. Unless you get lucky at a junkyard (try car-part.com), this may be bite-the-bullet-time. :-(
Jeep on!
--Pete

Maybe try engineering a poly marine fuel tank to fit? They are available in various shapes and capacities.

It might be worth while to look into one of those coatings that cover the inside of the tank. I don't know anything about them as of yet, only that they exist.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Back