NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 18th, 2009, 09:36
NAXJA Forum User

its always somethin!!

87 with an ax-15....i backed out of the driveway this morning and when i went to shift from reverse into 1st it was stuck in gear...the clutch was pressed to the floor so i couldnt pump it either. i tried to let it out and play with it, but it felt like there was no room for anything. the pedal was against the wall and the slightest movement to release the pressure ended up in full on engagement. i ended up turning it off, and then i was able to let the clutch out and engage 1st. it seems to shift just fine driving down the road, as long as i can let the clutch out right after i shift. however, i noticed that if im sittin at a red light in any gear, it will slowly start to catch and creep forward, and i hafta fight to get it in neutral....but if i pump the clutch a couple times after that its fine.

i checked for leaks in the master and slave and couldnt find any, and checked the fluid inside and it looked good.....anyone have this issue before or any ideas???
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:49
NAXJA Forum User

Re: its always somethin!!

I had that problem and it was the slave leaking. I replaced it and the problem didn't completely go away. I replaced the clutch and pressure plate and it works fine now. Did you check inside under the dash for leakage from the master cylinder? Mine was leaking there and I didn't notice for the longest time.
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:52
NAXJA Forum User

check the fuse box under the dash. The master can leak fluid back into the cab and it will eat the fuses.
Old February 18th, 2009, 10:03
NAXJA Forum User

just checked...it bone dry inside and out. and there is no fluid leaking from around the bell housing either...oh btw, its an external slave if that matters.
Old February 18th, 2009, 10:11
NAXJA Forum User

External slave? I thought they didn't put an external slave on the AX-15 til 97. Anyway, it could be the pressure plate.
Old February 18th, 2009, 10:18
NAXJA Member #1191

As far as I know, just because there is no external leak does not necessarily mean that the master/slave cylinder is working properly.
Old February 18th, 2009, 10:24
NAXJA Forum User

the tranny is actually out of a 95....but anyways...i just had another thought.. i ALWAYS does it when i back out of the driveway which is slightly downhill...however, when i have it in reverse on a flat surface, it doesnt always do it...
Old February 18th, 2009, 10:36
NAXJA Member

im having this same problem. the heep is sitting in my driveway, undrivable. It could be an internal leak. that would keep enough pressure from building to move the through out bearing and corresponding parts.
he demonstrated how a helicopter works thats the real reason he didnt get the cop job
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:42
NAXJA Forum User

ok, new info i forgot to mention...i replaced the throwout bearing when i did the tranny swap, and i forgot that ever since i did there has alway been a very very slight noise of the bearing spinning around the shaft. its barely noticable at idle with your ear to the tunnel, otherwise its not noticable at all, and goes away when the clutch is pressed. so at lunch i was able to go and listen and the noise does not go away when the clutch is pressed and it wont shift, but it does go away when it shifts normal... which im guessin means that the master/slave isnt holding enough pressure to push the bearing against the plate. does that sound about right?