• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein 7100

cpolish24

NAXJA Forum User
I have the bilstein 5100 right now and was wondering what luck anyone has had with the 7100. Considering the fact that I'm able to get my hand on a pair for the front of my 96 for a good price. And where are you guys getting your lower bar pin eliminators for thoughs (0.5 ID) heim joint ends?? Thanks--

I run 7100's and would NEVER go back to a lesser shock. Up front I have 12" shortbody's at 275/78 - next time they come off I will probably vavle them 360/80.

I use the T&J upper mount (I'd do JKS next time, though) and a custom lower mount. You can remove the heim from a 7100 and put a poly bushing in - I can track down the part number for you if necessary.

shock2.jpg

Bryson said:
pics? :wave:

The Jeep or the shocks? Here's an old pic of the shock/ACOS setup on the front I took after my buddy built it and years before it belonged to me. Old school 9100s.

EVMP0231.jpg

Here's the whole thing. I don't have pics of the 7100 setup in back. They're mounted high and out as far as possible on the Tera 60R.

237726239_y8wqz-L-4.jpg

Nice! I like the different setups that you guys have. Let me ask everyone this now: How is everyone setting there's up?? I will still run full heim's. So does anyone have any setup ideas, even if you haven't done it yet?

7100's in rear on 8.8 with custom (high) shock mounts. Used the 10" short body with 275/78. Only place that stocks them is E-shocks. Keep in mind that the new ones ship with SS lines and powder-coated bodys.

Talking to Bilstein about valving they recommended going 30% higher on both if I thought it needed it. My unsprung weight is much increased over stock, along with higher gross-weight and trailer ops.

Only one week so far and they seem fine.

The install was not simple, one issue after another. The BP Adapters are from JKS, nice stuff. The lower mounts were removed and turned down to 1/2". I couldnt see dumping big $ on high-end shocks and stuffing junk rubber bushings into them. Mount them the way they are designed.

The only remaining issue is the reserviours. Mounting to the shock body is not optimum so I want to get them up onto the body above the axle. Considering running extension lines from them to an accessable location for nitrogen fill.

Shogun said:
7100's in rear on 8.8 with custom (high) shock mounts. Used the 10" short body with 275/78. Only place that stocks them is E-shocks. Keep in mind that the new ones ship with SS lines and powder-coated bodys.

Talking to Bilstein about valving they recommended going 30% higher on both if I thought it needed it. My unsprung weight is much increased over stock, along with higher gross-weight and trailer ops.

Only one week so far and they seem fine.

The install was not simple, one issue after another. The BP Adapters are from JKS, nice stuff. The lower mounts were removed and turned down to 1/2". I couldnt see dumping big $ on high-end shocks and stuffing junk rubber bushings into them. Mount them the way they are designed.

The only remaining issue is the reserviours. Mounting to the shock body is not optimum so I want to get them up onto the body above the axle. Considering running extension lines from them to an accessable location for nitrogen fill.

Thanks, i'll keep that in mind!

rear sway bar spring plate mounts work well for the bottom shock mount. I'll try get a pic of mine after work. ahhh, i need to get back to work

2000_XJ said:
Ive been looking at these too but I cant figure out which valving to get, What have you guys been using?

Well, two people have mentioned what valving they run .. and they both run the same valving.

I'd say take the average of all the shocks listed here, and run that. ;)

cal said:
Well, two people have mentioned what valving they run .. and they both run the same valving.

I'd say take the average of all the shocks listed here, and run that. ;)

I know when mine were set up the rig was weighed and gear/gas factored in that measurement. A call to the guys at Bilstein and they helped figure the valving.

if for no other reason then resale value, the 7100's are far superior
lets say you buy a set of 7100's that turn out to be too short/too long, you can pretty much instantly resell them, while 5100s probably wouldnt sell so quickly, due to their non rebuildable nature.

xcm said:
if for no other reason then resale value, the 7100's are far superior
lets say you buy a set of 7100's that turn out to be too short/too long, you can pretty much instantly resell them, while 5100s probably wouldnt sell so quickly, due to their non rebuildable nature.

True.

I run 7100's in the front of the XJ with the 275/78 valving. A number of years ago we had a lot of discussion on this and the consensus was that this was the best valving for the front. I run 5150's in the rear with the 255/70 valving. This combination works pretty good, though it's not a commited pre-runner rig, but it does both rocks and fast stuff pretty well.

It's important to get fairly stiff coils in the front and fairly soft leaves in the back, and get the bumpstops adjusted properly.

I used the JKS mounts on top and made my own mounts for the bottom. The bottom is simple, just a couple of tabs. The 7100 works so well on an XJ because you can use the short body version which helps a lot with fitting a 12" travel shock in front.

I got my New 7100's on. I had my machine shop make me a set of bar pin eliminators that were 1/2" for the heim's, also got some 1/2" heim spaces made for it. Then i used a pin to eye on the top with some 1/2" heim spacers. The 7100's work awsome!! I don't think that ill ever go back to a regular shock. The differance is unreal!

7100sfull-1.jpg

Back