NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 26th, 2021, 17:37
NAXJA Forum User

Re: XJ radiators, a review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Moving on from packaging and shipping damage...

Installation went fine once I fixed everything to my liking. It should be noted that I already modified my AC Condenser brackets to fit the Cold Case, so that could be an issue for others, and I already ditched my ZJ fan clutch and went back to an XJ fan clutch for the sake of clearing the Cold Case. However, lacking the straps from top to bottom, there is more fan clutch clearance with the Champion. I have in excess of 1/2" of clearance now:

I did run into one detail I had to address. With the Cold Case I had to make up for 1/4" of lost height in order to get the nuts onto the upper isolator mounts. I took those spacers out and put in the Champion and was happy to find that the total height was spot on. No need for those spacers. But then I noticed I was 1/4" too tall on the AC condenser. If I tried to install the screws for the condenser I simply pulled the threaded inserts out of the condenser's rubber isolators. So I had to make a pair of spacers to fill that gap:

Another detail I was surprised by is the overflow nipple. It is 5/16" rather than 3/8". At first I thought Champion made some sort of mistake with that one. The Cold Case I just took out had a 3/8" nipple and the Mopar HD that the Cold Case replaced also had a 3/8" nipple. How could Champion have gotten this wrong? But then I measured the nipple on the plastic overflow tank: It measures 5/16". I would now say that everyone else, Chrysler included, has been doing it wrong and Champion got it right. So I am going to swap out my overflow hose with a piece of 5/16" line. Also not that Champion doesn't even pretend to seal that nipple to the radiator. It is just threaded in loosely. Make sure you seal it properly.
There might be an MY difference between the AC HXs because the AC HX in my 2000 fit perfectly with the Cold Case.

My XJ came with a 5/16" hose overflow line. I'm the third owner, so I don't know if that was the stock size, but as you say, it fits the overflow tank nipple perfectly. And the CSF radiator that was in my XJ also had an overflow nipple that was sized for 5/16" hose.

I'm curious to hear if you can identify a difference in cooling efficiency between the Cold Case and Champion.

Did you find the leak source in the Cold Case?
Old September 26th, 2021, 18:55
NAXJA Member

Anak, very helpful information. The shipping damage was rather significant to me. I would not have been able to repair the port. As for shipment packing, my BC1193 was packed identically to yours. Apparently, the transit from SoCal to Northern Nevada is a bit softer!

As to the lower bushings, I purchased the Dorman 926281 bushings. They are a tight fit on the bottom posts, but I reamed out the top to a depth of a bit over 1/8 inch and they are easier to start.

I'm off looking for M22 gaskets as I intended to buy a M22-1.50 to 1/4 NPT adapter and install a mechanical water temperature gauge there - mounting the gauge itself in the engine compartment for diagnostics.

Anxious to hear about the cooling comparison result!
Old September 26th, 2021, 19:13
Stranger

I haven't played around with the Cold Case to see where it leaks. I have way more on my plate than I can handle at the moment and that isn't on the priority list. However, with it out of the vehicle it does appear that my initial diagnosis is correct. It is in the core, somewhere in that vertical line that matches the AC compressor and the alternator. There is very little staining besides that column.

And I doubt I will be able to offer much in terms of comparison. Temperatures are in for a substantial drop here real quick. Daytime highs are supposed to drop 20 degrees next week, and nighttime lows are supposed to be in the high 30s. I won't be seeing weather that will tell me anything for another 8 or 9 months.

In terms of looking for gaskets, the aluminum washer I am running is M22 ID, M29 OD. And M22 is virtually identical to 7/8".

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox

Last edited by Anak; September 26th, 2021 at 20:01.
Old September 28th, 2021, 09:53
NAXJA Forum User

Some recent feedback on my Ron Davis radiator setup. I am running the Ron Davis without a built in tranny cooler, stock fan clutch on my 4.7L Russ Pottinger stroker. I was in Yuma AZ a couple of weeks ago, where they said it was 107, my overhead said 115. Drove around in town, AC on, it never got above 210. I also drove through the desert from Yuma to SD, during the middle of the day, and the temp stayed below 210 with the AC on.