• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Purchasing a Winch

CharlesS

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at purchasing a winch during the upcoming Black Friday or Cyber Monday.
Its been a long time since I looked at winches and shocked at their prices.
I am looking to replace the Ironman 4x4 winch on my '93 Landcruiser PZJ75 overseas and have been considering several Warn winches, but most are 3-5 times more money.
This is the winch I am looking at :

WARN 103252 VR EVO Series Winch 10,000lb with Steel Cable

Experiences and recommendations of what and where to purchase are welcome.

Thanks....

Charles

If you will be using it in the muck and mud I personally would go with the steel cable.

Personally I would go with a synthetic cable and get a cover for it. That way if you break it you can splice it back together on the trail and keep using it. Plus it's not that hard to rinse it out if you get it muddy

After spending a lot of time winching last weekend.....I'm wondering if anyone has insight into which is harder to free spool out? It seemed to me that a warn with synthetic line was way harder to pull out than a harbor freight winch with steel.

Is it the winch, or is it the cable type?

If it matters to you, the VR series winces are made in China. If it's in the budget, step up to the ZEON series. They probably have a lot of parts in them that are imported, but the end product comes out of Warn in Oregon. Yes, they are expensive....

After spending a lot of time winching last weekend.....I'm wondering if anyone has insight into which is harder to free spool out? It seemed to me that a warn with synthetic line was way harder to pull out than a harbor freight winch with steel.

Is it the winch, or is it the cable type?

I think it probably was the winch. Mine doesn't spin very easily in free spool and I'm assuming that's because if you get it spinning too fast it will bird'snest the synthetic line like a fishing reel.

I think it probably was the winch. Mine doesn't spin very easily in free spool and I'm assuming that's because if you get it spinning too fast it will bird'snest the synthetic line like a fishing reel.

Actually on the synthetic it can "bind" itself to itself (the rope that is) :D Steel will be heavy and stiff on the other hand...

That seems to be what I noticed....the line appeared to be melted to itself like licorice that got a little warm.

Back