• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifter

Thehowler

NAXJA Forum User
I have a lifter that bleeds down overnight, and briefly rattles when I fire it up.
Is this something that should be replaced, will it cause damage over time to the cam? #2 exhaust.
Thanks

Try some MMM , other wise your going to have to replace it.

Kill a cam or ......... the possibilities are pretty much unlimited!

Replace just the bad one or the whole set? Then am I into replacing the cam as well?

iirc you can replace the lifters without the cam but not vice versa. If you're going to have the head off to replace a lifter I'd do them all as a set, but that's me.

Warning. If you replace the lifters on a used cam, you may end up destroying the new lifters and cam. Friend did that. He put in a new head, and thought he would replace all the lifters while he was at it. He didnt even last 50 miles before one new lifter wore itself down to the point of failure. other new lifters all worn big time, cam was toast. yes he used breakin lube, but still, the new lifters and old cam did not wear together. in 50 miles he wore thru the lifter, so it collapsed, no more valve motion.

You can try the Marvel Mystery oil, that can free up a sticky lifer. You can remove a sticky lifter, get it cleaned, and put it back lifters when removed must be put back into the same spot, dont swap them!

Id avoid new lifters unless also replacing the cam at same time. fix your existing lifter, or replace them all plus the cam.

That is my experience with the Jeep motor.

Back