• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping 96 xj steering wheel for newer

MickeyS

NAXJA Forum User
the '96 steering wheel is unique and uglier than sin. I'm not looking for the older style without airbag, I'd be super happy with the 97-01 steering wheel. anyone done this? what's needed exactly if it's possible, keeping the air bag and not setting off the light etc

Airbag light?

I don't think there is one.

The '95 & '96 (yes, there are two years that share that steering wheel, and some ZJs also have one which I think is almost identical and can be swapped with a possible minor modification) use a mechanical airbag. You won't find any of the special yellow wires under the dash of a '95 or '96 XJ. To try to add a later model steering wheel/airbag would be a very substantial undertaking. You would need sensors, wiring and computer control. I expect it would be simpler to just buy a late model.

It may be possible to go backwards and install a non-airbag steering wheel, but from what I can recall when I looked into this there are issues that come up with the turn signals. I also wonder how an insurance company would view such a modification.

ah right. I meant just for passing smog, I wouldn't want to throw any lights or codes. I don't care if the airbag inflates ultimately, as this is a trail/camp rig, and I don't think the tester will visually realize the steering wheel should be any different. I figured this would be a huge undertaking anyway but have no previous experience with removing steering wheels. there is a guide to adding an older model steering wheel but you still have the ugly steering block behind it.

Back