• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to the Forum

showcard

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all.

I’m new.

I picked up a 99 two weeks ago from Florida and drove it up to the Maryland/Virginia area for the holidays. I’ll be up here for awhile so it seems with some family issues.

In the meantime I would like to get to know this vehicle by doing a lot of work on it on my own or with a buddy. I’m not really familiar with anyone up here and these vehicles so if anyone is out there who has a “do this first” checklist, that would be great.

Other than that, I’ll be reading through the forums

bbc8c73937d36ab08aead0d530d33eac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I threw those LEDs on there before so left. They’re great.

I have no heat but I’m thinking it’s a heater core clog since the temp has been constant.

You pretty much said what should be one of your first projects above.
I say maintenance first.
Just assume everything needs to go.
Oil, lube, filters.
Drain the tranny from the drain plug. Figure somewhere in the vicinity of 4 quarts will come out.
If the fluid looks really bad drive it for a bit and do it again. And maybe again.
Give the cooling system a visual once over. Hoses etc. Give the cooling system a good flush. Also reverse flush your heater core. With the hoses off. Maybe a new thermostat too.
Plugs, cap and rotor. Maybe new wires.
Check the belt and pulleys.
I say suck as much out of your diffs as you can through the fill hole and refill.
Do the same with the power steering and master cylinder.
Grounds. Check them. Take them off, clean them up, and put back together.
Any electrical problems that people have the first thing everybody will tell you is to check your grounds.
Just get it out of the way now.
While you are crawling around under the Jeep give everything a good look.
Bushings on front control arms and leaf springs, scope out any leaks, check the driveshafts for play. etc.
Might want to check your flex plate bolts, tranny and motor mounts. Condition of, make sure bolts are tight, etc.
Googling anything above will give you plenty to read about how to go about any of that if you have any questions.
Good Luck.

Forgot about the transfer case.
Take the fill plug out first. 10mm hex. Pretty sure.
Then remove the drain plug.
It would suck to drain first and find out you can not get the fill plug out.
Also on the tranny drain plug. There should be one of those crush washers on it.
Replace that crush washer.

Thank you for the to-do list.

NAPA autoparts would have mostly everything here.

Do you recommend a parts store for that sort of stuff or try to get Jeep parts from a dealer or online ?

It looks like my heater core has been disconnected and the inlet and outlet hoses have been connected.

I suppose someone determined it was clogged/leaking...
bc18b382050011baef51c4435a70f487.jpg

Thank you for the to-do list.

NAPA autoparts would have mostly everything here.

Do you recommend a parts store for that sort of stuff or try to get Jeep parts from a dealer or online ?

Well I am the wrong person to ask because I work at a Napa. LOL.

So I do buy the majority of my parts there. But still shop around.

Like when I decided to switch over my diff fluid to synthetic. I used Valvoline VV975. Well buying from Pepboys save me $25 with a promo code over what it would have cost me at Napa with my discount. But the thing is Valvoline is Valvoline. Doesn't matter where I buy it.

Now most parts I would just buy through my store. Brake parts for instance over the other store brands. But lot guys buy the Auto Zone, think that is where, pads cause of the lifetime warranty. And I will be the first to admit that Napa can be pricey. I just think they sell better stuff and if and when I have a problem I can deal with it myself so........

But there are certain things, many sensors for instance, that you should just by Mopar. CPS being one.

Now some things you only stick to one brand but can buy them almost anywhere. NTK O2 sensors being an example there.

It looks like my heater core has been disconnected and the inlet and outlet hoses have been connected.
I suppose someone determined it was clogged/leaking...

Yeah that ain't good. Hope for clogged and not leaking.

I think I’m going to assume it is leaking and tackle the job of replacing it.

But I might as well go for the A/C evaporator and fan blower.

Problem is...

I have no one around me that I know to help.

I would even pay someone for their time!

I need Cherokee friends.

I have never done one. Plenty of write ups. It is a time consuming, 10 hours, tedious job. But not difficult. People will tell you to label everything carefully and take plenty of pictures.
The big thing for you will be what heater core to use. Google it. Not pretty.
This seems to be more of a favorite but....

https://www.superiorcooling.co/4874...jeep-cherokee-comanche-wagoneer-wrangler.html

One guy will say that his Auto Zone one worked out great and the next guy will say his Auto Zone one did make the year. And this is not a job that you want to do twice.

I think my Evap core has a small leak but really don't want to go in there. My heater works fine. But if I do should I replace the heater core while there? That is the question.

And another thing I don't really see guys talk about is bringing the heater core to a radiator shop. As long as it is a copper/brass one they might be able to deal with it just like they used to do with radiators back in the day. Before they became half plastic. I stopped by a radiator shop to ask. They said sure but the end result depends on what they start with and even then there are no guarantees. So.......

Problem is...

I have no one around me that I know to help.

I would even pay someone for their time!

I need Cherokee friends.

You could try posting in the North Atlantic Chapter. You might be able to find someone close to you that way.

(Scroll down through the forums and you can find the various chapters)

Seems like an expensive heater core at almost $200...

But it lasts ... hmm?

That is a good question.
But this one has been posted on those threads about what heater core to use that I told you to Google.

I want say a Mopar one, if you could even find one, would cost at least $300.

This is why I wonder about a radiator shop dealing with the one you have assuming it is a factory one to begin with.

Back