• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange Clacking sound when letting off...

fjxj0103

NAXJA Forum User
This is my first post so bear with me here...

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport.

4.0L I6, stock.

AW4 Auto, 231 T-Case.

189,095 miles.

No ABS, or TC.

Ok, so on my drive home, there was this strange sound that seemed like it was coming from the engine. I know the 4.0 is a somewhat noisy engine (at least mine is, and always has been), but sometimes when I would let off at 40-60 mph, I would hear a loud clacking sound for about half a second, and then it would go away, This happened twice on my 15 minute drive. I am extremely diligent about changing the oil every 3000 miles, and I ALWAYS let it warm up to at least 160 before I start moving. The oil pressure is great, 50psi @1000rpm even when warm. I drive normally but sometimes I like to have a bit of fun.

What could this be? I know quite a lot about the 4.0 but I’ve never heard it do this nor heard anyone else talk about it. I would make a video of the sound but in case there is really something wrong I obviously don’t want to try and reproduce it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what you mean by "no TC"?

I'd maybe look at the motor and transmission mounts, and make sure it's not the engine moving enough that the fan hits. If it sounds like it's under your feet, it could be the exhaust hitting the crossmember. Also, check the torque converter bolts are tight although that's usually more noticeable at idle and sound like it's in the bell housing.

Thanks for the suggestions, it does sound like it’s coming from the front, so maybe I will temporarily remove the shroud to see if it stops. I meant TC as In Traction Control, but now I just remembered that they didn’t ever come with that I don’t think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the items already suggested, and also check the Harmonic Balancer. My 1998 made some loud metallic clacking noises, the Harmonic Balancer was failing and something was hitting something else.

Last edited:
Problem solved! Checked the motor/transmission mounts, they were O.K., I did end up adjusting the exhaust a little as it was rattling a bit (its aftermarket). I got to the harmonic balancer and noticed a bolt was backing out and scraping against it. I finagled a wrench up into there and tightened it back down and haven't heard it since, I'm not really sure why it would only be audible when letting off though, there's no play in the crank, but the sound is gone so I must've done something that worked :laugh:.

-Thanks for the help guys!

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Back