• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leafs or 4 link?

What do you use your xj for mainly?

Pros: great flex, balanced suspension

Cons: Lots of works, less stability, more parts,
I would only do this if this was a primary crawler, not a mudder, and if it was not a DD or something you tow with

Ok, well its a daily driver for now at least. I love trails and a little bit of rock crawling but not full on rock crawling, does that make sense. I do like mud. I would say I want a multi tasker.

You have nothing to gain for the type of wheeling you do, except a whole bunch of money.

Heims/flex joints
Links
Bracketry
Springs/shocks/air shocks/Coilovers
Design/fabrication time

Or, have you priced a kit? $$$$

Well I'm definitely not an expert, but doing this will take a while and alot of experience. I suggest waiting till you have a second vehicle and a have the knowledge to do it.
Look into the advanced thread and at Pirate 4x4 and look at how much it takes to do this. Wait awhile, what you are rolling with is fine for now.

You have nothing to gain for the type of wheeling you do, except a whole bunch of money.

Heims/flex joints
Links
Bracketry
Springs/shocks/air shocks/Coilovers
Design/fabrication time

Or, have you priced a kit? $$$$

I friend of a friend quoted me for everything including his labor for $1500 or so

Well I'm definitely not an expert, but doing this will take a while and alot of experience. I suggest waiting till you have a second vehicle and a have the knowledge to do it.
Look into the advanced thread and at Pirate 4x4 and look at how much it takes to do this. Wait awhile, what you are rolling with is fine for now.

Alright. Any Mod ideas? I have a powertrax no-slip locker and rocksliders in mind and that is about it.

Your friend must work pretty cheaply. A set of flex joints is going to be $300-500, depending on whether your arms are all fixed length or adjustable all around. Springs can be $50 at the junkyard to $700 for a pair of airshocks. Tube for the links. Tube or plate to make brackets from. Hardware, consumables, labor. Reinforce the unibody to have suitable mounting points for control arms.

Weren't you talking about needing a slip yoke eliminator and lockers the other day?

Edit: Get some seat time.

Your friend must work pretty cheaply. A set of flex joints is going to be $300-500, depending on whether your arms are all fixed length or adjustable all around. Springs can be $50 at the junkyard to $700 for a pair of airshocks. Tube for the links. Tube or plate to make brackets from. Hardware, consumables, labor. Reinforce the unibody to have suitable mounting points for control arms.

Weren't you talking about needing a slip yoke eliminator and lockers the other day?

Edit: Get some seat time.

I've got the SYE now. I was not going to do this until next summer, I was just curious about the pros and cons of it right now.

What are you running?
Lift?
Tires?
Any info would help

Alright well 1992 Xj 4.0 HO with a flowmaster 3.5 inch Rubicon Express Lift, Rear leafs have not settled and I am not sure if they will, it's been over a year and they are at least 4.5 inches. Rear sits a little higher of course. Rubicon express tie rod. 3.55 gears in a Dana 30 and Chrysler 8.25 it's a Manual with automatic axles since the rear Dana 35 broke and was replaced with a 8.25 with 3.55's so last weekend we switched the dana 30 with 3.07's for a dana 30 with 3.55's.

I've got cut fenders a SYE and CV driveline coming from highangledriveline.com and a CV front drive shaft 3x the size of stock in already.

I'm running 33x12.50's with offset rims

Last edited:
Keep the tire size, add an aussie in the front and rear, regear, get some skids(rockers, gas tank, lca's), winch and bumpers, upgrade your steering (frame re-inforcements), tnt frame stiffeners, disk brake conversions. There are write-ups all of this stuff.

yes, absolutely wayyy more things to have on your list before doing a coil conversion in the rear... Like others have said, just do some of the smaller things, and each one will improve the capability of your jeep. Just go wheeling, and as Phil said, get some seat time. After a while you will start to make a list in your mind of what you would like to improve...prioritize this list, and start from there. This list usually ends up being an ever-changing list with many things on it...but if you prioritize and upgrade as you go, you will see big improvements when things are changed one by one.

another reason to hold off: coil rates/wheel rates/anti-squat... the list goes on...

the great thing is you appear to have the internet, which is full of beautifull information.

checkout pirate4x4 if you are still interested.
or even the advanced fab forum, there are plenty of 4 linked xj's, but those rigs have a lot more then a 4link to make them what they are.

For what your are using your rig for.Spend the $ on deaver or national leafs and save yourself the headache and a lot of $ . and they will flex as much as you need for your type of wheeling. my .02

Back