• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NM- Red River

Handlebars

NAXJA Member #135
Practice saying "howdy" as most of the people you'll meet along these 2 trails in Red River, New Mexico will be from Texas.

Click on the map for a full sized version:

Goose Lake is one of the most popular in the area. The lower part is a single lane shelf road so you may have trouble getting around the large groups of ATV's that frequent the area. Keep an eye out for places to pull out of the way.

Stay to the far right at the creek crossing right at the start of the trail, there is a deep hole if you go straight across.
orig.jpg

Traffic jams are common along the shelf road
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Climbing higher the trees change from moss draped pine to aspens
orig.jpg

Goose Lake, at 11,600 feet, is sometimes hidden in the clouds
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Much nicer on a clear day:
orig.jpg

Looking down on the lake from Gold Hill
orig.jpg

Pioneer Creek trail is the next canyon to the west and sees much less traffic than Goose Lake trail.
Most of the way you drive near the canyon bottom, sometimes sharing the road with the creek.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Attachments

• Red River Trails.gpx
    61.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Is this the Traile that the jeep tour place up there does. Can we take our own vehicles out. I have a friend who owns a b&b up there. I have been looking for an excuse to go back

I've been on both these trails,they are nice and easy to negotiate, there is another slightly more challenging shorter trail called 4th of July that leads up to a very pretty meadow and a great view of Wheeler Peak, entry is not too far up the road from Goose Lake trail head, at the firestation.

Wow! What a blast from the past! Back in the early 80's I lived in Amarillo and went to Red River alot. Goose lake is a beautiful place. Thanks for the pics.....

BIgDaddyChia said:
Is this the Traile that the jeep tour place up there does. Can we take our own vehicles out. I have a friend who owns a b&b up there. I have been looking for an excuse to go back

Yes, anyone can run them. They are all NF roads for the most part.

Back