• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reserve fuel tank?

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
Alot of my XJ buddies have been telling me that my 90 XJ should have a 2-5gallon reserve fuel tank along with my 20 gallon tank. It kinda makes sense because when I ran out of gas once I put in 25 gallons before it clicked off and the other day the guage was past E, low fuel light on and it only took 13 gallons when filling up and this was after driving 600 miles on a full tank.

Anyone else ever hear about this?

I have a Turblator air system that save 20% on fuel.
I added a MSD and saved 15%.
Auborn spark plugs saving 10%.
I magnetic fuel energizer saving 30%
Water injection saving 30%
After driving 300 miles my tank overflowed.

langer1 said:
HUH?

langer1 said:

its like your making fuel or something....far out....

langer1 said:

The commitee for the funniest post of the year has selected your to be among the final candidates.

Well done, and congratulations !

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Yeah, pretty funny but has anyone else heard of a reserve tank? If you don't believe my numbers I can back them up.

Man, that is funny :laugh2:

As for the reserve tank. Hmmm, I don't think so.
But I do believe you can get more than the 20 -gallon tank capacity in there.
I think I even read a tech article somewhere about getting the most out of the stock tank.

You can probably get a little more than 20 gallons in, but you shouldn't. It can expand and leak out the vents if you do. The low fuel light is supposed to come on when you have about 4 gallons left in the tank.

Don't test that 4 gallon theory unless you're carrying a can of gas, though, because it can vary.

I've just been wondering about that because the one time the pump said 25.01 gallons(bone dry empty) then clicked off and the one time after driving 600 miles(freeway, low-fuel light on) it clicked off at 13.8 gallons, I don't know how it happened but it did & I thought the reserve tank story made sense...

Zoro said:
I've just been wondering about that because the one time the pump said 25.01 gallons(bone dry empty) then clicked off and the one time after driving 600 miles(freeway, low-fuel light on) it clicked off at 13.8 gallons, I don't know how it happened but it did & I thought the reserve tank story made sense...
If you drove 600 miles and the pump clicked off at 13.8 gallons, you were in Canada. :laugh3:

I think the only way to solve this would be to climb under and look for a reserve tank. All XJs that I know of hold 20gallons.

what's this 600 mi on the highway you're talking about?-- is this on one full tank of gas?-- my best on one full tank, downhill, strong tailwind, nothing but me in the jeep, was somewhere around 375 miles,

what gas station are you going to?- does the state check and certify accuracy of gas pumps where you live?

BCParker said:
I think the only way to solve this would be to climb under and look for a reserve tank. All XJs that I know of hold 20gallons.

what's this 600 mi on the highway you're talking about?-- is this on one full tank of gas?-- my best on one full tank, downhill, strong tailwind, nothing but me in the jeep, was somewhere around 375 miles,

what gas station are you going to?- does the state check and certify accuracy of gas pumps where you live?
I've climbed underneath before and didn't see anything out of the ordinary, I always thought this 'reserve' tank was inside of or part of the gas tank.

When I got the 600 miles on the one tank I topped off what I already had, then I drove 600 miles before I refilled again and when I did it only took 13 gallons, this wasn't in my town so I don't know if that pump was any accurate or not, if not it was in my favor :) I've got a basicly stock 90XJ with 188k on a 4.0, AX-15 and an NP231 with about 3" of lift in the rear and it's all riding on 30" Wrangler AT's, like I said I've got no clue how it happened but it did.

Zoro said:

It sounds like you bought gas and forgot to reset the trip meter. 300 miles on a tank of gas sounds about right..

Its at least 20, I have a book that lists the tank capacity as 22 gallons. I don't know why, but the official build spec is that it has a 20 us gallon capacity tank.

There is a mod floating around that allows you to flip the downward bent vent tube inside the tank and squeeze additional fuel in.

My fuel gauge is also not very accurate.

Zoro said:
Don't mean to sound like ass here but I know I reset it

do the '90s have a digital odometer?--

when you're looking at the trip meter, press and hold the button next to it til it resets.- simple as that.

I have a 90 with the same specs... the tank capacity is 25 us gallon (20-22 fuel depending on pump speed + 3-5 vapor space) the vapor space is maintained by the filler breather tube which can be bent (Gojeep wrote the tech on it!)up to increase the capacity. the odo and trip odo are mechanical components of the speedo, driven by a cable connected to the final drive.

As for 600+ miles on 14ish gallons... dunno, I had a 73 caddy back when, the odo would go crazy some times and show me traveling 70-80 miles in 20 minutes of city traffic.

-r0

Back