• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Melted Piston

it was just that one piston that did it. also head gasket was blown between 3 and 4. going to attempt to just hone that one cylinder really good and hope it holds up. the walls have some grooves in it but it doesn't seem too bad. i have another engine that i will eventually swap into it. it also did a pretty good job of plating the exhaust valve too. :roflmao:

For the top to melt, it has to be running too hot. This is sometimes caused by a vacuum leak, but that would normally affect all the cylinders. My guess is that you have a partially clogged injector, not putting enough fuel out and causing that cylinder to run lean.

Good luck on honing the cylinder and just replacing one piston. Your odds are probably better than 50/50. My recommendation is to not use chrome rings on that cylinder. You might have problems getting them to seat. Don't just slap in the rings, make sure and check the end gap and adjust it if necessary.

Once you look at it and hone it, measure the cylinder size and see if it is still within spec or at least real close. Back in the day, you could get a piston that was a couple of thousandth oversize just for this situation. Don't know if they are still available. Just try and match what you have. If you get a different piston with a different dish, you will fight getting the engine to run smooth, and you will always have a slight vibe.

Since you have to pull the pan and rod anyway, check all the bearings. If they look good, then don't worry. If they are starting to wear, you might want to look at slapping in a fresh set of rod and main bearings. We used to use a leather belt and some cerium oxide to polish the crank a touch before swapping bearings. What ever you do, look at the bearings for markings, they may have been replaced before and if so you will need to match the size. The same goes for the pistons.

Again for preventative maintenance sake, since you have the head off, I would replace the valve seals and maybe lap the valves.

Last edited:
i was thinking of changing the injectors. really i only need this engine to make it to the spring if it starts and runs good enough. come spring i should have a nice new rebuilt engine to pop into it. i just found out there is a machine shop down the street from me. i was thinking of going 4.7L stroker but i dont think it will ever really make it off road.

do i need someone to put the rod on the piston or is it a clip in one?
and i also only ordered a standard size replacement but this engine was rebuild once already. so i hope it fits.

Last edited:
i was thinking of changing the injectors. really i only need this engine to make it to the spring if it starts and runs good enough. come spring i should have a nice new rebuilt engine to pop into it. i just found out there is a machine shop down the street from me. i was thinking of going 4.7L stroker but i dont think it will ever really make it off road.

do i need someone to put the rod on the piston or is it a clip in one?
and i also only ordered a standard size replacement but this engine was rebuild once already. so i hope it fits.

Honestly, if it was rebuilt previously, they should have bored the block and the piston will be too small.

Might be hard to see but if that motor were rebuilt the positions should have a mark with the new size.

I doubt it was rebuilt but you never know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If nothing else, a cheap pair of Harbor Freight calipers will allow you to measure the bore size and see if it has been bored.

i believe it was rebuilt it has a guarantee void if removed tag on the side of it.

the only markings that i could see on the good pistons was front and 50

i believe it was rebuilt it has a guarantee void if removed tag on the side of it.

the only markings that i could see on the good pistons was front and 50

On the cylinder head or block?
If it's the block you're right it should be rebuilt .
Look at the non melted positions, there should be a size mark on the top.
.20 .
.40 .

it was on the block. i will inspect the pistons again to see if i missed anything.

also it has the renix intake manifold on the 7120 head. it doesn't look like it should cause any issues as it must have been running and the intake runners are bigger than the ports on the head. and if it is fine should i use a 88 gasket or a 93 gasket?

that's common for junkyard motors too
True, although places I worked did the heat tab on the head and scribed the block with ID.

Those size marks can be faint, especially after being run for lord knows how many tens of thousands of miles.
Here is a clean pic of what kind of thing to look for.
30udeo3.jpg

I'm supposed to look for an cartoon? Anyway I looked at the pistons again and there is nothing that shows any sizing. I removed the melted remains and the walls don't seem to bad. Going to hone it tomorrow. It there anywhere else it would have been marked? Would I be able to measure it with the typical digital calipers?

Huh? A cartoon?
Markings, where they are located how well they can be read, depend on manufacture.
Oversized pistons usaly have a mark on top, like in the picture, some are easier to find than others . I'm not sure where the oem marks would be. Bottom of the piston I'd guess there'd be some sort of marking .
It could just be a used 93 engine since it's in a 88, I'd think they'd sell the correct engine for the application if the PO bought a rebuilt, but there are so many selling their brand of engine rebuilds anything is possible.

Last edited:
so on my phone the piston picture turned into a cartoon weird. but im thinking that its just a replacement engine.it does look like work was done to it as the freeze plugs look good and the bearings and cam looks clean. i think the walls will do ok with a hone and this may just work.https://goo.gl/photos/93SNBnC1QcyK1hyd6

Guess that's what I get for using tinypic to host the picture.

Glad everything else looks good.

Back