• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard cold starts and engine trying to stall when taking out of gear

ScienceguyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Even with synthetic oil it's being a pain to start. Other day when it was about zero degrees it started then stalled instantly, never done that before. Optima style battery, new plugs, good oil, starter seems fine... Also tries to stall when putting in clutch and going into N, used to only do that when wheelin' going down hills and putting it into N. Checked the fuel pressure and it was at 48psi. which is normal. I've cleaned the fuel system with STP products recently too. Not sure if these probs are related or not. Maybe the hard starting is due to my battery being a knock off Optima from Checker but it is the same thing and even came with an 8 year warranty. Any ideas? The fuel pump and filter are the originals with 115k but the pressure was fine...

ScienceguyXJ said:
Even with synthetic oil it's being a pain to start. Other day when it was about zero degrees it started then stalled instantly, never done that before. Optima style battery, new plugs, good oil, starter seems fine... Also tries to stall when putting in clutch and going into N, used to only do that when wheelin' going down hills and putting it into N. Checked the fuel pressure and it was at 48psi. which is normal. I've cleaned the fuel system with STP products recently too. Not sure if these probs are related or not. Maybe the hard starting is due to my battery being a knock off Optima from Checker but it is the same thing and even came with an 8 year warranty. Any ideas? The fuel pump and filter are the originals with 115k but the pressure was fine...

In-Tank injector cleaners have a nasty habit of tearing crap from the insides of the gas tank and fuel filter and sending it down the system, which is probably causing your stalling. Go to autozone/krag/whatever and pick up a can of Sea Foam, and slowly pour it down your brake booster line; this will clean your engine really good and, if nothing else, smooth out your idle and throttle response. If this doesn't help, either pull your injectors and get them cleaned by a shop, or go to a yard and grab some new injectors. Then, if you've still got issues, you're probably looking at a fuel filter. Also STAY AWAY FROM STP!!! In future, if you really want to clean your fuel system just run your car exclusively on Chevron premium gas for a month (it contains a mild concentration of Techron), as this will slowly but thoroughly and safely clean out the fuel system.

Joe

It idles fine and the throttle response is normal. It just dips down to say 300 rpms then comes back up to normal idle when I put in the clutch sometimes, lasts for maybe 5 sec. or until I give it some gas. How is pouring something in the brake lines going to clean my engine?

He's talking about pouring it in the brake booster line that connects to your intake manifold, this is the easiest way to introduce a solvent into an engine directly without putting it in the fuel tank.

Pouring it into the brake booster line puts it into the largest opening in the manifold vacuum system. This draws it into the cylinder with the air charge and mists it into the fuel/air mix. (If you do it slowly with the engine running, otherwise you would just flood the intake vacuum system and I'm guessing a not start at all situation.) :attom: Put on a new fuel filter and pour the stuff in the gas tank before you fill it up. That way it can clean the fuel system like it is supposed to do. Mixing it with the air would only clean the cumbustion chamber I think.:smoker:

My 92 auto is starting to start hard. I am going to try the seafoam in my gas. If that doesn't work, I have read about the fuel pressure regulator. I have tried cycling the fuel pump when cold starting first thing in the morning, but that doesn't do the trick. Tries to start and dies. Next try it starts, and is fine until it sits all day or all night. May have to replace the pressure regulator if seaform does nothing. ( I have this feeling it won't help, but it is a cheap try.)

Newbie. Got a 92 Limited dd. Going to put the 31/10.5's from my gmc on it with front coils and a bastard pack rear leaf setup. Maybe a track bar also. Will see want it needs when the tires are on it.

I have learned a lot from this forum. I don't post much, but I read and learn. Thanks to all who post real, good, info.:NAXJA:

Back