• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noise from drivetrain on take-off

murfs66

NAXJA Forum User
New to cherokee.
6" lift 242 t-case all new lift.

When I take -off I get this clunk that sounds like maybe binding, but it's only on take off. Could this be a bad u-joint, yoke slop, transfer case mount/tranny mount?

not sure if ohters are getting it or how to check things out.

Any help. Is this normal?

What year XJ????? How new is the lift. Did you go back under and tighten everything down after a few good trips? Have you shacked everything you can get your hands on under the jeep, every joint, tie rod, sway bar mounts and links, etc. Rock the jeep back and forth using the front tire as you watch all visible joints. Any movement in anything?

6" of lift----did you readjust the alignment(something might be rubbing). Are you using a T/C drop? How is your transmission mount, your motor mounts?

What have you looked at yet??

No slip yoke eliminator or t case drop? driveline bind. What lift/ crossmember? Driveline vibration from no sye also causing your t case to bounce and hit the crossmember since you have the lower hanging 242 and some crossmembers arent made to accomodate...

Brand new lift. I tightened and checked everything. I have a 1" t-case drop. No SYE. Brand new ball joints, No major driveline vibration I can feel.
The Jeep is a 88 with 100k miles on it. I have all brand new suspension from front to back including all the shocks, bars , shackles etc. It sounds like it is the yoke maybe. It only happens when I put it in gear and it grabs .

what BRAND lift? Is it a manual trans? worn clutch and bad engine or trans mount and that is hopping now cause of the torque needed to turn the bigger tires?? Is it just a clunk SOUND or can you FEEL it too?

Its a Rough Country lift automatic/Trans . I'll check those . I thought it might be the mounts. I'll have to check for cracks and the exhaist mounts.

I can't see how your still using the stock rear shaft at 6", the driveshaft angle must be insanely steep? I would think it would be nearly out of the splines at that height? You really need to do some kind of SYE and CV shaft in the back. My guess from the description is it's either that or you have a bad u-joints, a loose pinion bearings maybe or worn mounts.

Last edited:
Actually the angle isnt that bad. I'm looking onto a SYE and the CV after I get this thing running better and smogged. I have no blinkers or headlights either.

Back