• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project "girly" jeep

shortxjdoug

NAXJA Forum User
So i wasnt gonna put this in adfab but since most of it is one off garage fab so i figured it was better suited for adfab than modtech.

So this all started when i put my girlfriend behind the wheel of the waggy and she rocked a wheelstand that would make any man proud :roll: So when she needed a new dd, she went out and bought a nice 2000 cherocar with a 4.0 and an aw4 trans. she then proceeded to head out and buy a d30 and 29 spline 8.25 with 4.56 gears, suffuced to say one trail of seat time has her hooked.

So the plan is as follows, three link front based off a crossmember running RE 5.5 coils and the old leaf springs and shackles out of my now scrapped wagoneer. Gonna get armored, rocker replacements, and planning on building a tire carrier and winch bumper and eventually a hybrid interior/exterior cage. Im keeping the drivetrain pretty simple, gonna run lunchbox lockers front and rear, and the sye off my old jeep.

the ride...
DSC00130.jpg

the shoes, 35x12.50x15 nokian vativa MT's
DSC00131.jpg

hdoffroad engineering frame stiffeners
DSC00133.jpg

drawing up and drilling the new crossmember. the new piece is 2x6x3/16 with 1/4" mounting plates
DSC00134.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

DSC00137.jpg

new crossmember before cleanup
DSC00140.jpg

i think i have to give more credit to the hobart than my skills for the decent lookin welds
DSC00141.jpg

finished trimmed and cleaned crossmember, going to backweld grade 8 nuts to the frame stiffeners to up the mounting points to 4 grade 8 bolts plus the 2 stock crossmember bolts for a total of six per side... should stay just fine.
DSC00145.jpg

Frame stiffeners are going in tomorrow along with the new crossmember, then ordering a set of steelies and link parts to finish up the suspension

Looks like a great start. Don't you just love cutting and drilling that quarter inch steel? That stuff will be there a while for sure

I'll be following this Doug and hopefully seeing it at the crawl!

Welded up the passenger side stiffener today, backwelded 4 grade 8 nuts and cut pockets in the frame for them to sit in.... going to try to get the other one done tomorrow after class
DSC00160.jpg

Had an issue with the tip going south but I hadn't changed it since I bought the welder... so I have some cleanup to do before paint
DSC00168.jpg

If you don't see it at the crawl ill be in the doghouse since she's dying.to get back to the dirt, I really want it ready to shake down in may if all goes right

Where did you find her and does she have any sisters? :D

Where did you find her and does she have any sisters? :D

One sister and she's already married...... I'm hanging on to this one with all I got, there aren't a lot of good lookin ladies out there willing to drop their tax return on jeep parts and love it.... you shoulda seen how happy she was when we brought those tires home

I have heard many people say that using plate for your crossmember isn't going to cut it. Too much flex. Look into adding something across the top.
I used L shaped (not angle though) 1/4".

One sister and she's already married...... I'm hanging on to this one with all I got, there aren't a lot of good lookin ladies out there willing to drop their tax return on jeep parts and love it.... you shoulda seen how happy she was when we brought those tires home

Hold onto her Dougie! :cheers: Didn't get to talk to her at the crawl last time but she seemed pretty easy going. Enough of the Lady Talk what are her/your plans for a lift?

Hold onto her Dougie! :cheers: Didn't get to talk to her at the crawl last time but she seemed pretty easy going. Enough of the Lady Talk what are her/your plans for a lift?

Haha actually not the same girl but this 1 is way better the other ones been long gone for sometime now

Haha actually not the same girl but this 1 is way better the other ones been long gone for sometime now

Oh............whoops! :doh: Anywho, lift?

Back