• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

putting the new junk on the old junk

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Ok, I'm going to be taking my new suspension out of it's boxes, a couple of months after it arrived, and installing it. What do I need to have and do before the day of the lift? I know PB Blaster, and I'm probably going to start that on Wednesday or Thursday, and have about 10 days of applying it. I'm putting on extended brake lines, so that means I need to bring brake fluid. I'm swapping in another rear axle, so I guess I should go ahead and put fresh diff oil in. What else? I want to do this as close to the rightway as I can. Thanks. Phil

Gasket seal. Up to you, I don't bother with the bought seal material stuff, just use the form-a-gasket stuff that comes in a tube, never had a problem. I assume the shop/garage there has diff oil gun or whatever you wanna use to get it into the diff. It's way early, can't be thinking up the technical terms :D I try and hit the grease points whenever I have the pig up on a rack, but again, up to you.

an angle finder to dial in your front axle castor and rear axle u-joint angles.

Phil Weeks said:
Where can I get an angle finder, other than Harbor Freight? There isn't one of those really close to me here.

SEARS, LOWES, any good hardware store.

white litheum grease for bushings and whatnot and a six pack of budweiser. how about a coil spring compressor. dont know what kind of lift you have, but you may need one.

six pack of beer? I'm planning on having more than two guys helping me. :D
when I helped do a lift before, we got it done using a floor jack and jack stands. Lithium grease is the way to go?

Check your brakes on the donor rear axle. Ive had to rebuild a few wheel cylinders and get all new shoes and hardware a few times before.

Mike

true, i just didnt want to seem like a raging alcoholic. actually, my friend and i must have gone through 6 cases while putting my stuff together this summer. im surprised it worked :eek: about the white litheum grease, i dont know if its the best, but it worked for me

Come on, there's nothing wrong with a suspension from a box. It's an RE 5.5" with drop brackets and a rear springover.

Back